My brain went into overdrive last night..I couldn't get much sleep

Toomuchfear

Last night, I decided to get an early night. I had had a really tough day at work, I had a headache and felt sick- and my anxiety was so high I had little focus on what I was doing. I counted the stock completely wrong, I felt so bad, as the manager smiled to me for the first time that day (she's one those people who don't understand the conversationally shy- they think we're just weird) and now she's gonna hate me.

So I went to bed at half 10, I needed to get rested after such a long day. My body was exhausted. But my mind was not! Different thoughts flickered through my head, out of my control. I tried to focus on a single apple in my mind, an object that cannot change. But my mind wandered. I couldn't shut it off. I wanted to sleep so bad, I was anxious I'd be knackered the next day if I was exhausted again.

I thought of work, the girl I liked who now ignores me, my life, tv shows, the past, my problems, my parents...the hours went by. I tried tensing all my muscles, tried listening to music. Eventually I fell asleep at some ungodly hour. My brain really scares how active it can be, i wish there was a shutoff button !

Last edited:
This happened to me recently, what helped was being able to rant it all to someone. Writing it down works well, too, the process of verbalsing gives it an outlet and stops it clattering around inside.

LazyHermitCrab

I know what you mean ahh.. it's like something can happen awhile ago but you can picture it in your head so clearly sometimes it's like it happend again? Anyway you can put a story on tape to listen to instead of racing thoughts ;)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
This happens to me very frequently, during high school it happened almost every night. I don't know how to eliminate it completely, but a few things I've found to help.

Don't try to fight it. Don't keep reminding yourself you're tired and need to fall asleep. This will keep you awake longer. Also, any clocks in your room I'd turn away from your bed so you don't know how long you've been up, and you can't think about how soon you may have to wake up. I listen to music, and have found the volume setting is important. I try to make it loud enough so thinking is difficult to do over the music, or at least discontinued do to your brain realizing there is noise in the background. Don't make it so loud you can't fall asleep though, it will help drain out your thoughts but not to fall asleep.