musicians with social phobia?

carebear

hi..just wondering if there are any other people out there who are aspiring musicians/djs with social phobia??
anyway, its so hard to promote your stuff when you are too shy to even leave the house. I have a myspace page but its pretty empty right now. that's the only way i can think of getting what I do across.
well, if any of you are in the same predicament, i'd live to hear from you or add me on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/little3

cLavain

Hi, Carebear,
Empty indeed. :) Why don't you put some music there? Would be interesting to hear. I've just done some simple stuff in tracker software, really. Can't even finish anything...

carebear

hey clavain..i do have music up there!!!
you didn't see? :roll:

anyway..it's acquired taste..i basically just screw around with sounds..nothing groundbreaking or anything.

do you have a myspace page?

worrywort..I was one of your friends before but I deleted that account.
love your stuff! i tried to add you again. :wink:

LittleMissMuffet

Hi,
I'm not a musician but I am an aspiring painter.

In 8th grade, my art teacher commented on a drawing I hade made using th words: "amazing sensitivity" or the like, to describe how well I picked-up on the way things looked and the sensations around me.

I actually believe that my talent and my social anxiety are two sides of the same coin.

In fact, I don't see how it is possible for anything 'bad' to exist without the coexistence of something equally 'good'. ...And I think that this is extremely important for us 'weaklings' to remember (and that those who can't identify their 'good' with their 'bad': look around for it because it's there somewhere).

remembering this is important because of the people we encounter who with their words undermine us and see us as weak. ...Now, they do this because they themselves cannot see what is 'right' and we need to see past their view of people in order to believe in ourselves, otherwise we won't cure ourselves. ...I basically mean when people look down on someone with a difficulty; and they figure that they can get past that same difficulty and so they look on others the same way that they look on themselves, by the same measure. But we don't work by their measure and still looking at ourselves the way that they do keeps us in the rut that way are in, and makes us think we are 'freaks' and 'lesser' than others.

...anyhow, I think that Jimi Hendrix sufferred from social phobia. THey say that a lot of gifted types have trouble just doing the shopping and everyday things.

so, I like the jist of your post Carebear -my guts tell me that you're seeing the bigger picture and not falling into the trap of only seeing one side of people.

LittleMissMuffet

...speaking of which, I read a book which said that Jesus' power to heal anybody He chose to, came from the fact that He chose to see each person as perfect. He 'made them whole' again because He already looked upon them in a way that saw how they already were. Then He just helped bring this reality that He saw into realisation.

Layla

well im a musician, i used to play in a couple of bands and played several shows, in front of mid-sized crowds, and i usually ended up standing with my back to the audience! but eventually you get self-confidence and are able to face the crowd. people always come up to you after and treat you like a rockstar anyhow! But, really, you have to try not to let SP get in the way of your aspirations. easier said than done. i havent played a show in a while, but if im doing something I love & that i can be proud of, then its important to stand up and show it to the world, no matter how bad you may feel inside.

fallenfeather

I'm a musician too. I do chillout/soundtrack stuff mostly but the odd dance remix now and again. I'm in the middle of making the transition from my day job to the music full time but it's hard because you never know how much money your tracks are going to make you. I just finished producing a track for a top 40 act and hopefully (fingers crossed) if it does well in the charts I'll make enough to take the big leap into full time land and live off my music.

I agree that it's hard to promote your stuff when you have SA but 99% of my promotion and contact with other artists and record labels is done via the internet and the phone. Out of all the people I have worked with and worked for I've only met one of them in person! I even work for a record label part time without meetinh the owners in person! So it can be done!

I notice you are a picies. Same as me. It's very common for piceans to be good at or very interested in music or other arts. It's also meant to be common for them to be quite shy or quiet natured people too.

Good luck with your music!

applesewer

oh yeah, carebear, you're lauren!! I remember!....oh I think you got the link slightly wrong! its http://www.myspace.com/littlel3 right? I think you missed an "l" out on the above link!! which would explain cLavians confusion and would also mean I've just added a 52 year old bloke from tunisia to my friends!

ah well....yea, I love your tunes lauren, especially that smashing pumpkins mix! I'd love to hear more in that vein!

Richey

Worrywort?..nice to see a radiohead fan around here...my favourite band EVER! ...i play guitar and dabble but ive never recorded and i never grew up with people were really into music so i could never suss out a band to play in.....i find it takes my a while to learn other peoples songs that its a challenge to write my own songs....maybe one day i can say that ive written songs....i'd really like that

carebear i really enjoyed your songs and Worrywort...both very talented 8)

carebear

thanks guys!
keep chekin back for new tunes and add me if ya want! I add everyone (no need to send pm).

boy..i really feel better now that i have some fans :lol: :wink: