Murder/Killer OCD

Sometimes I get scared that I might be a killer. I obsess that I may be a murderer and may kill someone someday. How do you know it's just oct and that I could not actually ever murder anyone?

LifeInternal88

I don't. It's OCD.

Okay.

Speak to an expert on this sort of thing. Or just start with some of your own research.

Find something else to occupy your time and mind with. Hopefully that will replace the current with a new obsession. Do you have hobbies, a career, friends, gf, any life ambitions? Maybe that shift in focus would help. I don't know. :idontknow:

All the best. I hope you overcome it. Or be a novelist.

Okay.

Speak to an expert on this sort of thing. Or just start with some of your own research.

Find something else to occupy your time and mind with. Hopefully that will replace the current with a new obsession. Do you have hobbies, a career, friends, gf, any life ambitions? Maybe that shift in focus would help. I don't know. :idontknow:

All the best. I hope you overcome it. Or be a novelist.

Yes, I have all those things. I would never want to hurt someone like that but it's just a common ocd theme. I was wanting to know people who also battle with this theme and see what helps them.

Eric28887

Well I've never been diagnosed with OCD, but I think there may have been a time where I experienced something similar to this. It especially developed when I was working two jobs. Maybe it was just stress. When I was driving out of no where I'd start having thoughts that I hit and killed/injured someone. I would drive in circle after circle over and over again to make sure that I didn't hit anyone. I was finally able to convince myself that if I did hit a person I would know (hear/see it) and it kind of fizzled out on its own.

laure15

It helps to think far ahead into the future about the consequences. If you injure or kill somebody, you will have to pay for it in many sorts of ways. First, they take you to court, where you will be surrounded by lots of people looking at you (and that's already scary enough for someone with social phobia). Then, once you're convicted, they lock you in jail for who knows how long, where you may have to share a cell with 1 or more people. And once you're in jail, you can be bullied, beaten up, and violated by all those inmates. Not to mention when you get out of jail, you are at a severe disadvantage of finding a job. Think about it this way, and maybe your murder/killer thoughts will subside.

OCDd

i have ocd, and i have had these thoughts too. i mean you should always talk to a professional, but you accualy wont do it. i worried i might torture people at some point. when i logically think about that...When/why the heck would i do that? i know i wont. dont worry about it your not gonna do it, you should still tell a professional about it...i did too. anyways you could also add think of your religion, if you are religious and say, would God want me to kill someone? plus thats just irrational, your not just going to walk around somewhere and kill someone...you just wont. hope this helps you, and God Bless! :)

OceanMist

You could turn yourself into some type of mental hospital if you really think you will kill someone. That's probably your safest bet. If you tell a psychiatrist you want to kill someone they'll send you there anyway.

aNOTfox

It annoys me that people on here are telling you about the "consequences of murder" and "what to do if your gunna kill someone" which we all already know.

Firstly I'd just like to point out that YOU ARE NOT A KILLER!!!

The fact that being a killer scares you and causes anxiety shows you that you are not- if that makes any sense.

Sounds like you have a problem with Intrusive thoughts, its very common with OCD. These are the distrubing thoughts of murder that you obsess over because they're so disturbing. Then there is the fear that you will "lose control" and kill someone.- this will not happen. You know yourself that you are a good person. - like I said the very thought of you possibly being a murderer causes you anxiety.

I suggest you do some research on Intrusive Thoughts OCD and you'll find loads of people going through the same thing!

aNOTfox

It helps to think far ahead into the future about the consequences. If you injure or kill somebody, you will have to pay for it in many sorts of ways. First, they take you to court, where you will be surrounded by lots of people looking at you (and that's already scary enough for someone with social phobia). Then, once you're convicted, they lock you in jail for who knows how long, where you may have to share a cell with 1 or more people. And once you're in jail, you can be bullied, beaten up, and violated by all those inmates. Not to mention when you get out of jail, you are at a severe disadvantage of finding a job. Think about it this way, and maybe your murder/killer thoughts will subside.

No don't do this.
You are not a murderer and so do not need to think about the "consequences of your actions" as you will never carry them out. Also, this will only worsen the anxiety. OCD loves guilt and fear so don't feed it with anxious thoughts xD

Last edited:

aNOTfox

Well I've never been diagnosed with OCD, but I think there may have been a time where I experienced something similar to this. It especially developed when I was working two jobs. Maybe it was just stress. When I was driving out of no where I'd start having thoughts that I hit and killed/injured someone. I would drive in circle after circle over and over again to make sure that I didn't hit anyone. I was finally able to convince myself that if I did hit a person I would know (hear/see it) and it kind of fizzled out on its own.

Yes, OCD can be triggered by anxiety so it makes sense that this happened when you were stressed.

crazycatlady27

yeah you may want to put if differently to a professional as you could end up getting locked up for a long time, but i would suggest seeing someone

aNOTfox

yeah you may want to put if differently to a professional as you could end up getting locked up for a long time, but i would suggest seeing someone

"professionals" i.e therapists/ doctors etc are trained to help people stuggling with OCD. You don't need to worry about being judged by them as they are there to help and understand all about mental distorders, in this case OCD. They're not gonna call the police and get you "locked up for a long time". They will understand that it is OCD, not real.

Last edited:

crazycatlady27

i have had some bad expericences with some professionals, so personally i wouldent just go in there and say " i think about killing people all the time " as it will get you locked up. but if you ask to see someone who is trained and understands ocd then you will be fine, but some docs act first and ask questions later.
and from reading about experiences on these forums some doctors do judge you !!
:)

pink-moon

Firstly, if you were a killer, you wouldn't be experiencing anxiety right now. The thought of killing would excite you - you'd want to carry out the urges.

Secondly, seeking reassurance is pointless because you have OCD, and OCD is a persistent son of a bitch. The more attention you give it the more it thrives. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. As terrifying as it may seem, you have to accept the thought. Literally be like "yeah, I'm a killer, so what?". Fear is like fuel for OCD, so the only way to beat it is to not be afraid of what it tells you anymore.

ebot

THis is known as Harm OCD, and I have it too. I've obsessed about harming all sorts of people around me, even loved ones. I'd never actually do any of the things I've thought about, but the thoughts/impulses are there and distressing, to say the least. It's something worth talking to a professional about and getting diagnosed and treated for though, there is help to overcome it. Right now, my therapist and I are working on replacing thoughts of knives cutting people, for instance, with the knife being put away in a safe spot where it can't harm someone. And for the compulsive whistling I do after the obsessing, she's having me think about my son running into my arms and hugging me. THought distractions. Maybe this will help you.

AdamE

Umm, I also have "murder/killer OCD". Not at all the best way to deal with it, but I've developed a sort of ritual where I have to tap my right temple three times with the handle of anything I'm holding that might be used as a weapon, and if I do that, I won't hurt anyone. A slightly better way is, when I have thoughts of, for example, pushing someone in front of a train, to just chant under my breath "they'rejustintrusivethoughtsthey'rejustintrusivethoughtsthey'rejustintrusivethoughts..." I recommend the second method; it gives something to focus on.