Motorcyclists and SA

theoutsider

I've noticed something about motorcycle riders. Most of them believe in some type of brotherhood of motorcyclists (or something close to that). Whenever I see one of them stopped at a light and another one shows up, they talk to each other. They are usually complete strangers but it seems whenever another motorcycle pulls up beside them a conversation ensues. As someone with SA this would drive me CRAZY! I can't imagine having to come up with something to say to complete strangers just about every time you come across one. Having to make small talk really raises my anxiety level. I'm not a rider but used to consider it before my SA got worse. Now I think for that reason alone I will never be one.

Is anyone on here a motorcycle rider? If so. how do you handle the pressure of having to make small talk so often? If you're not a motorcyclist, do you think the pressure would bother you?

I don't think you would need to make small talk, I'm sure that some would just nod hello or even just ignore other riders. I used to ride but never felt any pressure to be friendly like that, its only the ones who want to who do it, its not like its an unspoken obligatory rule. It would be the same as passing people on walks in the bush/forest, you can say hello or not, it doesn't matter in the end

megalon

I've been riding for about six years and no one has ever pulled up beside me. For the most part, I give other riders their space, and they give me mine. It's not something I worry about, because I'm sure if someone did want to talk to me at a stoplight, it would be about my bike. Vehicles are one of the few subjects that I have no problem conversing about. Sometimes you see guys riding next to each other and having a conversation as they go down the road. I don't know how they do it, because the wind noise and the engine make it pretty tough to hear anything. Doesn't help that my voice is muffled by a full face helmet.

theoutsider

I don't think you would need to make small talk, I'm sure that some would just nod hello or even just ignore other riders. I used to ride but never felt any pressure to be friendly like that, its only the ones who want to who do it, its not like its an unspoken obligatory rule. It would be the same as passing people on walks in the bush/forest, you can say hello or not, it doesn't matter in the end

That's what I was wondering about. Like what would be the reaction if I didn't want to do it. Good to know it's not required as the last thing I need is another reason to be made an outcast. I always wonder what they talk about all the time (when I see them doing it). I'm guessing details about their bikes.

I also often see them nod or give some other encouraging sign to each other even if they are on opposite sides of the street going in opposite directions.

Last edited:

theoutsider

I've been riding for about six years and no one has ever pulled up beside me. For the most part, I give other riders their space, and they give me mine. It's not something I worry about, because I'm sure if someone did want to talk to me at a stoplight, it would be about my bike. Vehicles are one of the few subjects that I have no problem conversing about. Sometimes you see guys riding next to each other and having a conversation as they go down the road. I don't know how they do it, because the wind noise and the engine make it pretty tough to hear anything. Doesn't help that my voice is muffled by a full face helmet.

Thanks for the info! Now I don't feel as apprehensive about buying a bike.

Trishanku

I've noticed something about motorcycle riders. Most of them believe in some type of brotherhood of motorcyclists (or something close to that). Whenever I see one of them stopped at a light and another one shows up, they talk to each other. They are usually complete strangers but it seems whenever another motorcycle pulls up beside them a conversation ensues. As someone with SA this would drive me CRAZY! I can't imagine having to come up with something to say to complete strangers just about every time you come across one. Having to make small talk really raises my anxiety level. I'm not a rider but used to consider it before my SA got worse. Now I think for that reason alone I will never be one.

Is anyone on here a motorcycle rider? If so. how do you handle the pressure of having to make small talk so often? If you're not a motorcyclist, do you think the pressure would bother you?

It happened to me on a bicycle yesterday. I was climbing a hill nearby our city, midway I hear a guy on a bicycle cheering me up the steep climb ahead.
Then began my anxious incessant talk. I don't know what all I spoke about. even though it was all awkward feeling for me, the guy wasn't bothered much and then after a stop and rest at the top of the hill, then we parted ways.

Biev

My parents ride motorcycles and they are very antisocial people. (My mom has SA, and my stepdad tends to be a bit paranoid). When they were taking their classes, their instructor taught them a gesture that they're supposed to use whenever they drive by other riders (it's really just a way to wave without letting go of the handle). Neither of them liked being told that they had to wave at others as though they were part of some special clique, so they don't ever do it. They say no one has waved at them either, or tried to associate with them in any way while they were riding. I don't think it's as common as people think.

theoutsider

this is interesting, the guy filming wants to be chatty but (as I interpret it) the other rider does not

Talking to Rider at Traffic Light - YouTube

Wow. That was difficult to watch. How awkward. It looks like the chatty guy may have been riding one of those crotch rocket type bikes. The other guy seems to have a Harley. I wonder if Harley riders have a certain amount of disdain for some of the guys who ride the crotch rockets. I think I remember some years back hearing there was friction between the two groups because the crotch rocket guys sometimes behave immaturely in traffic, weaving, racing each other, etc.. The guy on the Harley didn't seem to be into it but at least he wasn't mean about it.

Last edited:

Subpop

Not motorcycles but mountain bikes. As a generalization...many mountain bikers are pretty approachable, especially if riding a trail that is somewhat remote. I've lost count of the number of times I have arrived at one of my preferred trails and if there are a couple of people getting ready or packing up they or I have easily initiated some conversation. I like it because it makes me interact and practice my conversational skills with strangers. It makes conversation easy because I can ask questions about the trail condition, any new changes or if there are others out on the circuit. For some reason about 80% of mountain bikers I come across where I ride seem pretty genuine and enjoy talking about all things riding related.

Last edited: