Mitral Valve Prolapse and Panic Attacks

SilentType

Banned
I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) when I was a toddler. Basically it just means that my mitral valve in my heart is "floppy" compared to a normal one, which should be "tight" like a drum almost (for a better description look it up on wikipedia lol). When I was diagnosed the doctors said it was nothing to worry about and that all it meant was that I would have to take an antibiotic before dental appointments, because if any blood were to be left on that "floppy" mitral valve, I could end up with an infection in my heart. So that's all I've ever thought of it until I was diagnosed with panic disorder 5 years ago. My psychiatrist told me that the panic attacks could be related to the MVP, but she didn't really look into it or anything.

I've just gotten a new psychiatrist yesterday, and when I mentioned that I have MVP and a debilitating case of panic disorder, the first thing she said was that I need to get into a cardiologist to see the extent of my MVP and whether it is causing these panic attacks. I have an appointment with my primary care doctor on the 10th, at which I'll be able to get a referral to see a cardiologist. Hopefully I'll be able to get into the cardiologist soon, because I've been interested in this for a long time now. I know there are other people here at SPW with MVP and panic attacks, and I advise you all to see your primary doctors to get a referral for a cardiologist appointment.

I'll keep you all posted on how my appointment goes, but I just wanted to let those of you that have these coexisting conditions know that there's something you can do that might help. For instance, if I end up squashing my panic attacks with some meds after a simple visit to this heart doctor, I'm going to be extremely happy. However, I will also be very upset that my former psychiatrist didn't address this problem with the help of a cardiologist even though she knew I have MVP and discussed with me the fact that the two things could have something to do with each other. That doc put me on brain med after brain med after brain med (like 15 different ones), when she knew very well the problem could be in my heart. I am also dependent on benzodiazepines because of this psychiatrist (6 mgs klonopin per day). If I find out that I've been one benzos and all these other drugs for five years for no reason whatsoever, I'm gonna be pissed honestly.

Wow I'm ranting...I'll keep you guys posted though...

Peace

Devrium

Wow... good luck with all of that. I am so happy to hear that you are finally (potentially) getting it taken care of... Honestly, I know how you feel. When I was 15 I was diagnosed with a rare type of juvenile cancer called granulosa stromal cell tumor of the ovary... After surgery and chemo and all that my cancer went into remission... but the doctors told me it's a late recurring type (meaning that after 10 years of being cancer free my chances of getting it again would increase by 95%) Well, sure enough 11 years later and I have the cancer again but this time it's not only in my remaining ovary but my uterus as well..

ANYWAY the point isn't really the cancer so much as... 8 months after I was diagnosed the first time, the doctors told me I had PCOS (polycysitc ovarian syndrome) which was basically caused because of the cancer but they didn't do sh!t about it.. so I have been living with this disease for over a decade and (while I will spare you the details seeing as it's a female problem) I can tell you it has caused me constant problems, and pain etc etc etc... Because the cancer I had is a late recurring type I have been seeing Oncologists every 6 months for the last 10 years for blood tests and ultra sounds and what not.. that's how they caught the cancer the second time... But they told me there was nothing that I could do for the PCOS... So anyway, my medical insurance was recently switched and I was forced to get a new Oncologist and she referred me to an Endocrinologist who just NOW, like as in last week, FINALLY put me on medication to control my PCOS.. I didn't even know that was an option! It took them 11 freaking years.. when I could have been on this medication all along... And I am pissed about it because I think... how many sleepless nights could I have avoided, how much pain could I have avoided, how many days of work and school would I not have missed.. if the doctors just did their freaking job in the first place.... And why, you might ask, did they never put me on this medication 10 years ago? Because I never asked for it... as if a 15 year old would really know...

Anyway... my rant is over.. sorry about that. Point is I know JUST how you feel... so I wish you the best of luck!!!!! I really, really do!

SilentType

Banned
Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now, and you must be very strong-willed to overcome cancer TWICE. I definitely know where ur soming from, as I was to the point of committing suicide over my issues several months ago simply because i thought there was no hope in trying anymore. Luckily I lived, and I'm feeling much better, not to mention the fact that could be on my way to my cure. If it really is my heart that's the problem, my local hospital should be able to figure it out, since their a top 20 heart hospital in the nation. Such a small town for such a big hospital.... Most people would dread a trip to the cardiologist, but I can't wait to find out how ****ed up my heart really is, lol.

Peace

iamthenra

because if any blood were to be left on that "floppy" mitral valve, I could end up with an infection in my heart.

What exactly did you mean by saying this?

The mitral / bicuspid / left atrio-ventricular valve is nothing more than a "check" valve which prevents back flow from the left ventricle into the left atrium. When the left ventricle portion of the heart muscle contracts it pushes on the blood that is inside that chamber, and the pressure forces the "mitral" valve closed and opens the aortic semilunar valve which provides systemic circulation throughout the body. Now a prolapse can happen just about anywhere in the body, and all that is is where the organ or tissue is stuck in a place that it shouldn't be... Like in a prolapsed uterus for instance, allot of times the uterus will actually be sticking out into the superior part of the vagina... So with a prolapsed mitral valve I would expect it to be extending beyond the closing point and into the left atrium, and that would definitely cause a lack of blood pressure and flow and some back flow to occur.... I'm no expert, but this is how I understand that part of the heart to function.

I hope you find a good answer to your panic disorder. If it is the MV, causing this then at least there should be some resolution once this is corrected.

SilentType

Banned
Think of a drum with a really loose top and a slit in it as the prolapsed mitral valve. If blood we to get stuck in the bottom portion of that floppy drum, it will lead to infection. I have no idea how it would get there during a dental procedure, but these are the reasons they gave me for having to take an antibiotic before going to the dentist.

This: Mitral valve prolapse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia explains it better, with pictures and everything. I just conrinue to explain it how it was explained to me when I was very little lol. I'm sure I'll be learning more about it very soon.

Peace

iamthenra

Endocarditis. Endocarditis is an infection of the inner lining of your heart. Typically, the infection involves one of the heart valves, especially if it's already damaged. If the mitral valve is damaged, it's more prone to infection than is a healthy valve. You can develop endocarditis when bacteria from another part of your body spread through the bloodstream and lodge in your heart. Doctors used to recommend that some people with mitral valve regurgitation take antibiotics before certain dental or medical procedures to prevent endocarditis, but antibiotics are no longer considered necessary in most cases for someone with mitral valve regurgitation or mitral valve prolapse.
Mitral valve regurgitation: Complications - MayoClinic.com

SilentType

Banned
Yeah its not really the dental part I'm worried about. It's the panic symptoms that could just be something caused by it therefore unfixable, meaning I'll have to just get used to the attacks. That would suck to mean nothin is going to fix it...

Peace

SilentType

Banned
Although now I think it might be nice to have a physiological problem with my nervous system instead of a mental one. Once there is something physical that is a concrete description of whats wrong, people aren't such *******s about things. They don't call you crazy they are more prone to accept it.

Peace