mental issues are just as painful as physical

OneLove

Feeling a little upset right now how people will call me weak because I'm having mental stresses...and yet they will have their own issues like cigarette smoking and they'll make excuses for their problems saying "it's different.. It's a physical addiction. A physical issue." and I'm sitting here SCREAMING in my head yelling, "Oh, so the physical anxiety and stress I get is less of an issue than your physical one towards cigarette smoking? Mental pain is just as hard as physical pain. I wish more people would understand that.

Snowdrop

I'll second you on that. I think a lot of people underestimate mental illnesses - you are right in saying they are just as bad as physical ones, if not more so. I don't believe anyone can truly know what it's like until they've been through it themselves. But I think that's one thing that's great - we come out of this much wiser and understand a great deal about pain more than anyone else, including your cigarette-smoking friends. So don't feel too bad about it, because here, we all know what it is like.

Well, in reality there is no such thing as ''a mental problem'' perse. Because the brain is very much a physical part of your body. As such, problems in the brain, whether they are addiction or chronic anxiety, are by definition physical problems.

And besides, their argument that a nicotine addiction is any more of a physical condition then social phobia is is a incorrect statement. They're not addicted to the smoke in their lungs, they're addicted to the nicotine that makes them feel clam and relaxed. Feeling calm and relaxed are both feelings that originate in the brain. Aka; mental. Addictions in themselves are (almost) never physical, the craving for the drug- and their effects happen in the brain.

The statement that their problem is any bigger then yours is lazy and selfish. Try to ignore them as much as you can. You know you're not weak, the problem you have is very much a real one.

Last edited:

OneLove

Wow, thanks everyone. That was like a light bulb.

he's actually my boyfriend

I am going to be honest and open tonight and when he gets home from work-after things have died down from work-so that i'm not rushing in and hitting him like a ton of bricks-ask him to set aside some time for me and try to talk this situation out. i'd like for him to better understand what i'm going through. whether or not he agrees is up to him, but I deserve my chance to explain myself.

and to do my part because I also need to recognize that he also has his problems, I'm going to look up cigarette smoking and learn about the addiction to better understand it so that at least on my side, I'll be less resentful or diminish the resentful feelings, because I'll have a better understanding of what it is. What you said blackpuma makes sense. what you all said makes sense to me. :) Thanks again.

DespairSoul

Hello,

You are right that mental illness is the same hard as psychical issue. I was smoker and i stop almost for 2 years smoking. Later if i met my bf and he was and is heavy smoker, he is just very psyhical addicted and he says *cigarrets make me less nervouss* with this i must opposite because isnt true actualy if u smoke u are more stressed but your adiction on it and brain say something else because u cant help it. Then i start again smoke but i start because i was stressed and my memories for times what i was smoking was like(hopeless phantasm) aaa i was maybe less stressed isnt true now if i dont have cigarets i feel realy bad because im again adicted. Thats mean i should stop because if i dont have them i feel i miss something in my body and this magic nikotin what is circuling in my blood is yelling on me:* common smoke smoke smoke*. Yes both is bad but with out cigaretts u can live social u must be strong in diffrent way like sugestion i dont need it. With disorder u cant be social and u must fight with brain and body to go trought, but smoking this was your choice. I go now trought both and i can tell from my own experience that mental issues i will swap happily for psychical illness because i know that i can stop smoking if i will want but i cant go trought mental issues whenever i will want like stop smoking.

lunarla

blackpuma said it!

Certain long-sustaining mental illnesses can cause chronic physical pains as well. The body and mind are not separate from one another, it's ridiculous of people to speak as though they are.