men are weird. :(

aizome

alright so. i've known this guy, let's call him.. alphonse. i've known him online for ages now, and we've always been pretty close friends apart from a few fights that sort of lessened my trust in him.

we seem to have ironed out our differences, but recently he's been really wanting to meet me, he knows about my SP + how i haven't left my house for three months, and wants to help me.

since i can't seem to go outside without having a breakdown these days and using the phone illicits a similar response, he's kind of my only hope here. apart from my dad(who has been really horrible lately, he supports me, but the way he cares is really ****ed up and counterproductive), i have no other family here, no friends etc. i know i need therapy, but i'm in a really difficult situation.

so, alphonse proposes baby steps. he suggested he come around to my place with flowers, i open the door, accept flowers, he says hello, then leaves. then to gradually build up contact from there. ordinarily this kind of care and interest in helping me would make me melt into a tiny puddle of goo, but the flowers confused me. i asked him "why flowers, why not something else?" he then suggested chocolates. and since my birthday's in a week, he's buying me this massive pink stuffed bunny rabbit.

those aren't typical gifts. right? i'm not imagining things?

to complicate matters, when he's drunk, he often tells me he loves me and would take care of me and other incredibly confusing things. and when he's sober he says "i'm more open when i'm drunk, i can't express myself well normally". i brought up this girl he met at uni once but hasn't seen since (was related to the conversation somehow) and asked if she was pretty - he said yes - so i asked him why he didn't ask her out. he said "why would i when i have you to talk to?" he's shy with girls, but i didn't really expect that kind of response.

to make matters worse, i once let down the old barriers and showed him some affection a while ago. probably a couple of months by now. but it made him.. back off. suddenly he was intent on letting me know it was platonic.

but now all this has happened. he has conceded that he's really indecisive before, but i'm finding it difficult to trust someone that isn't straightforward with their feelings.

as for me, i really like him. but i'd rather die than get hurt again. the last guy i was with used me pretty ruthlessly, so this is kind of a big leap for me.

:(. help me figure him out.

aizome

he's only 2 years older than me. and i know him like the back of my hand, he's not a weirdo, he's just a shy geek.

Danfalc

Banned
:(. help me figure him out.

Sounds like he really cares for you alot.But i think hes shy and not sure where he stands so hes reluctant to be honest all the time.Flowers,a pink teddy bear are totaly somthing i think alot of guys would get to show a girl they care,but with you asking why the flowers he maybe was worried that he had crossed the line?

I dont think your imagining things,you girlies are normaly pretty on the money for sussing us guys out ::p: And the truth often comes out when someone is drunk i think.

Reiji Moritsugu

Men? weird? we are easier to figure out than a tea spoon lol. Ok...enough bad jokes for today *facepalm* now seriously, I also believe he wants to be more than friends. The thing is, if he is a really shy person then it must be really hard for him to step forward because for shy people it will always be hard to make the next move, no matter how much they know the other person.

So rather than indecisive, I would say he is just extremely careful as he must be as afraid as you are of getting hurt...besides, the way I see it what we say when drunk
are our deepest desires, so that "alcohol made me do it" excuse is worthless since it´s stuff we actually wanted to do but didn´t dare to. I wouldn´t say that you are imagining things either, since men tend to be pretty direct - maybe too direct in some cases - about those things.

Another thing, I also know how it feels to be used as a toy by people you thought loved you, as it happened to me twice in the past. But don´t let that stop you from trying once again :) also, I agree with FlakeyBark in how it is not wise to make him your only emotional support. I apologize in advance if this sounds pessimistic, but anyone can betray you...and if that "anyone" turns out to be your only emotional support, the consequences will be far more devastating. That´s why I, although I have a girlfriend - still trying to figure out what she saw in me - I make sure not to turn her into my only emotional support; not only I know that my strongest support must be myself, but also know that she may leave me one day and don´t want to sink deeper than I will before it happens.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck with everything :)

aizome

yeah, i know not to heap all of this on him, it's just as far as i can see i don't have many options. like i said, getting out is nigh impossible for me. ringing around is much the same problem, and i heavily doubt house calls by therapists happen considering insurance issues and ethical ones.

pretty sure he won't like me when he actually meets me anyway, haha

JA2007

So rather than indecisive, I would say he is just extremely careful as he must be as afraid as you are of getting hurt...besides, the way I see it what we say when drunk
are our deepest desires, so that "alcohol made me do it" excuse is worthless since it´s stuff we actually wanted to do but didn´t dare to. I wouldn´t say that you are imagining things either, since men tend to be pretty direct - maybe too direct in some cases - about those things.

Another thing, I also know how it feels to be used as a toy by people you thought loved you, as it happened to me twice in the past. But don´t let that stop you from trying once again :) also, I agree with FlakeyBark in how it is not wise to make him your only emotional support. I apologize in advance if this sounds pessimistic, but anyone can betray you...and if that "anyone" turns out to be your only emotional support, the consequences will be far more devastating. That´s why I, although I have a girlfriend - still trying to figure out what she saw in me - I make sure not to turn her into my only emotional support; not only I know that my strongest support must be myself, but also know that she may leave me one day and don´t want to sink deeper than I will before it happens.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck with everything :)

Exactly what I would have said.

Ericisme

Well, it's either bad or good. He's either... horny and wants to get laid and is desperate so he's willing to spend months getting to know you in real life until you're more comfortable with it. Or he actually likes you and wants to help. It's really hard to tell this stuff apart online. If he sometimes acts like he doesn't cares about you while he's not depressed or upset about anything, then that could be a sign that he doesn't care about you in that way. If you really know him as a shy geek, like honestly 99% sure of it, with not a single thing that says otherwise, then maybe he has feelings for you.

-shrugs- Just get him on a lie detector, only way to be sure.

jamez

He obviously likes you.

But IMO these stuff almost never work out. You need to straighten yourself up first before getting into anything serious.