MeetUp.com

GloomySunday

I've just checked it out. It looks great! Making friends with people who share a common interest you're passionate about is always the best way forwards. There's a few people there who share some of my bizarre interests. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I went to a "shyness and social anxiety" meetup group last year (a bit scary, but I'll try it again if they ever have one near Sacramento again). I don't have the courage to try any of the regular-people groups, and 90% of them require being a woman and/or parent anyway, but I expect they'd be fun if you can handle it. Go for it.

raylite

Yeah I've joined several groups on there a while ago, have yet to attend one of those meet ups though.

jordo

yeah i've been to 2 dog meetups...didnt talk to anyone but my dog had fun. i went to 3 tennis meetups but never talked in the group. if i got someone one on one...i chatted a little. what i did was contact them outside of the group (email) and we would play on the side. played with 2 of them and each of them not going past two times :?. i would recommend joining in...if it werent for my experiences. some of the people seem to have issues. not that i dont have some too but its like throw-away friendships anyways? they never last. maybe its just me though. but you should try...you never know.

some places have sa groups. we had one but it ended cuz i think if people have sa...its too hard to meet in a group setting to keep it going? i talked to the organizer and she said that was the case and she was the organizer lol.

jordo

Riiya said:
jordo said:
some of the people seem to have issues.

Yeah, they're using the internet to meet people. I'd think they have some sort of issues to begin with.

cuz i think if people have sa...its too hard to meet in a group setting to keep it going?

That's one reason I'm hesitant about going to a SA-based MeetUp group. Going to a message board for people of SA is one thing, hanging around with a bunch of us for hours..? I'm not sure what we're even going to talk about, to be honest. "Let's see whose SA is worse: yours or mine"? "How's your life (even though I know the answer is going to be depressing)"? Should I pretend the atmosphere isn't as awkward as it is? Someone with experience, a story wouldn't hurt. :?
LOL i swear i typed that exact same thing but deleted it cuz i thought people here might think that i'm talking about them.

omg...like i said in another thread...i think we have the same thoughts. :? the first meetup was to a movie. i dont see the point in that if we're not going to talk. but like you said...why would we want to talk about that stuff? i thought i liked the idea of support...but when you put it that way it sounds depressing lol. i think i would like to make friends on the side though. i think i feel more comfortable making friends with someone with sa then a non-sa person cuz they would know what i'm going through and may be quiet too...but its ok with the both of us. just as long as we're together doing something is better than being home alone. does that make sense?

PhantomPod

There is a good SA meet up group nm area. I went to one meetup a couple months ago. It wasn't too bad. We shared personal stories about anxious situations we were in and got through successfully, and we shared tips and tricks with each other. This group seems to meet a lot. I think at least once a month for a "check up" meeting specifically about SA, as well as other little get together meetings.

The only problem for me was I'm 21 and most everyone there was a good deal older than me, so I didn't feel 100% comfortable for some reason, as I was mostly hoping to meet peopl around my age.

I am a member of other groups on there, yet I have only been to that one SA meetup.

Riiya said:
That's one reason I'm hesitant about going to a SA-based MeetUp group. Going to a message board for people of SA is one thing, hanging around with a bunch of us for hours..? I'm not sure what we're even going to talk about, to be honest. "Let's see whose SA is worse: yours or mine"?

In my vast experience of one meetup, that certainly wasn't a problem. The other three people were very talkative, one pretty much a motormouth who prompted me with questions to make me talk from time to time. They were talking about past experiences, books, CBT/ACT, ways of getting into society more, life in general, even other meetup groups they were in or considering. Very friendly people, exchanging phone numbers, planning the next event where they were going to learn a card game, and so forth. And that's why I never went back, I was the only anti-social freak and felt pressured to move too fast because of their vastly superior social skills/experience.

For me, the point of going to a meetup is to say that I made it there and didn't die. That's very rewarding to pull off every once in a while, the warm afterglow and feeling of being human lasts me a year or so. If you're more socially advanced and that isn't challenging for you then perhaps there's not as much point for you (though the socially advanced people at my meetup seemed to think there was).

I would, but anxiety about getting lost turns me into a bad driver when I'm in an unfamiliar city, and the traffic density of Oakland and Berkeley are way beyond what I'm used to so I don't know if I would be able to say "I made it there and didn't die." :( Got slightly lost coming home from that meetup in Davis, but at least I had some comfort level with the city and knew the vague direction I needed to go.

Ugh, my mind is racing in panic just at the suggestion.