Meditation

Lostinthemusic

I was wondering if anyone out there has any info on if meditation helps SA?

I've been doing it myself (a cheep version of Transcendental Meditation I found online) for about 5 months now, and it seemed to work really well at first, but lately it hasn't been doing as much for me. I can't seem to focus enough, I can't be free from myself, or relax. I also started it just before realizing that SA was most likely what I have. I'm not sure if any of this is relevant, but I figured I would put it up just in case.

Hottie

Hi,

I think you answered your own question with what you wrote about it helping you for a while...

How long is your meditation tracks? Maybe you could increase the length of time?

I find when i do meditation/relaxation it is difficult for me to 'switch off'. But if it was working well for you before then the is no reason for it not to continue to work well.

Keep trying and dont get dis-couraged, as meditation/relaxation are supposed to be key to reducing anxiety.

Take Care

:)

sullyS25

I found meditation myself and it helps immensely. Making time to do it has been a problem for me but I think meditation is incredible for any problem especially social anxiety. So many people misinterpret what meditation is and it is a shame because it is a practice that can be very helpful to anyones mental health. I used to think i couldnt meditate because i could not clear my mind. I then realized that it isnt about clearing the mind it is about observing your thoughts and emotions and not getting attached to them. Not judging them, analyzing them but observing them. Realizing they are there, they do not define you as a person and they are natural secretions of the mind. I dont know if you like to read LostInTheMusic but I recently read this book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and it helped my anxiety immensely. It is also what got me turned on to the practice of meditation and spirituality. I would recommend it to anyone.

Lostinthemusic

I think you answered your own question with what you wrote about it helping you for a while...

How long is your meditation tracks? Maybe you could increase the length of time?
Ha, very true, it was after 4 in the morning in my defense...

I usually do 15 to 20 minutes twice a day, now that I think about it though I guess I've been slacking off with the second one lately. Just have to be more disciplined I guess.

Lostinthemusic

I found meditation myself and it helps immensely. Making time to do it has been a problem for me but I think meditation is incredible for any problem especially social anxiety. So many people misinterpret what meditation is and it is a shame because it is a practice that can be very helpful to anyones mental health. I used to think i couldnt meditate because i could not clear my mind. I then realized that it isnt about clearing the mind it is about observing your thoughts and emotions and not getting attached to them. Not judging them, analyzing them but observing them. Realizing they are there, they do not define you as a person and they are natural secretions of the mind. I dont know if you like to read LostInTheMusic but I recently read this book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and it helped my anxiety immensely. It is also what got me turned on to the practice of meditation and spirituality. I would recommend it to anyone.

Thank you, this actually helps a lot, sometimes I just need some reassurance. I'll check out "The Power of Now", sounds interesting. "Siddhartha", by Hermann Hesse, is the book that originally got me interested in meditation.

Lostinthemusic

Interesting, I had never considered that, but I could see it working. Although I would need a cat first unfortunately...