Math Help

Sinar_Matahari

We have a lot of smart people on this forum who would be more than glad to assist you and answer any math questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Because it pains me to see this thread so empty... I'll start some random stuff hehe... I'm not sure if this has been solved before (hopefully not like the complex way Fermat's last theorem was solved by Andrew Wiles)... but Hewbert's conjecture (IIRC)...

Every even number after four can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. Can we prove it?

Also, if memory serves...

There is a game show host and we're playing a game as a contestant. The game is a simple one where there is either a goat or a car behind one of the three doors in front of us. Altogether, there are two goats and one car in total... so two doors hide a goat and another a car (we want the car... well most of us would I assume)...

So we get to pick a door. We pick one and the game show host opens ANOTHER door and shows us a goat... so should we change our initial pick? (Hope I recall the problem correctly)

Last edited:
There is a game show host and we're playing a game as a contestant. The game is a simple one where there is either a goat or a car behind one of the three doors in front of us. Altogether, there are two goats and one car in total... so two doors hide a goat and another a car (we want the car... well most of us would I assume)...

So we get to pick a door. We pick one and the game show host opens ANOTHER door and shows us a goat... so should we change our initial pick? (Hope I recall the problem correctly)

Sorry, I'm more practical than mathematical, so I would go "MEEEEH!.....MEEEEH!" and wait for the goats to reply, thus eliminating two doors. Failing that, I've got a good sense of smell, so I reckon I could distinguish between 'new car' and 'goat' ;)

Sorry, I'm more practical than mathematical, so I would go "MEEEEH!.....MEEEEH!" and wait for the goats to reply, thus eliminating two doors. Failing that, I've got a good sense of smell, so I reckon I could distinguish between 'new car' and 'goat' ;)

Mathematics IS practical... In this case though, the answer felt counterintuitive, so I thought it was a fun exercise... Until quite recently, all the maths that was developed was as a response to some real life problems, either in the sciences or in everyday life.

Only relatively recently have Maths been developed that is done for its own sake or for its potential. In one of the more courses I had taken, the prof told us straight from day one that what we were learning was probably utterly useless to most of us, but that the kind of logical thinking, rigor and problem solving that we use will come in handy in life. He was right...

Solitudes_Grace

Also, if memory serves...

We should definitely change our initial pick. Here is why:

Door A | Door B | Door C
There are only three possible ways the prizes could be arranged.
1.) A:Car | B:Goat | C:Goat
2.) A:Goat | B:Car | C:Goat
3.) A:Goat | B:Goat | C:Car
Let's say my original choice is Door B.
In scenario 1, the host must reveal the goat behind Door C because I have already chosen the goat behind Door B. In this scenario, changing my initial pick would win me the car.
In scenario 2, the host can reveal any of the two remaining goats because my initial choice was the car. In this scenario, changing my initial pick would result in me winning a goat and not the car.
In scenario 3, the host must reveal the goat behind Door A because I already chose the goat behind Door B. In this scenario, changing my initial pick would win me the car.

In two out of the three possible scenarios, changing me initial pick would win me the car. In other words, changing the door has a two thirds (2/3) chance of winning me the car; therefore, I should change me initial pick in this situation. I hope I explained my answer well enough.