Making new friends problems..

Because of my social anxiety I feel like I can't make new friends very well. Either I'm too shy or I just get uncomfortable or awkward around people. I have a select few of friends but they aren't that great...they just don't understand me. Two of them are just way too dramatic and not like me at all and my closet one she's bipolar and it's hard to deal with her sometimes whenever she gets pissed off about tiny things and she judges everyone, and that's just not me. They smoke and drink and party a lot but I'm not really into that either. I like it sometimes but not every weekend. I have a boyfriend and he means the world to me, he understands my problem, and he's the only one that I can count on anymore and talk to about things important to me. I don't know how to meet new people and get over my anxiety that I have. I've tried 3 different kinda of medicines but none have helped. Well actually I've recently tried lorazepam so that may work but I just get extremely sleepy and confused when I wake up. I just need something new and some advice.... Can anyone help me? I'm tired of being this same awkward girl...

Srijita52

I can relate to you, I'm in the same situation myself. I'm glad you've a boyfriend who understands. I don't know what advice to give since I'm dealing with this myself, maybe you can join a club so you can be around people you already have something common with. I hope things get better.

Thanks! This situation really sucks. It didn't start getting this bad until towards the end of last year. I know I've had anxiety since like 8th grade but it just keeps getting worse. I hope you get better too. It's just a crappy feeling whenever your uncomfortable around others when you really want to just be able to socialize normally :/ thanks for replying though

Srijita52

Thanks! This situation really sucks. It didn't start getting this bad until towards the end of last year. I know I've had anxiety since like 8th grade but it just keeps getting worse. I hope you get better too. It's just a crappy feeling whenever your uncomfortable around others when you really want to just be able to socialize normally :/ thanks for replying though
It is and it can be really frustrating. Thank you.

MikeyC

I have a boyfriend and he means the world to me, he understands my problem, and he's the only one that I can count on anymore and talk to about things important to me.
May I ask how you got a boyfriend? If you're painfully shy and have a boyfriend, you must've done something right.

alwayssunnyinphiladelphia

It's just a crappy feeling whenever your uncomfortable around others when you really want to just be able to socialize normally :/

Yea I know that feeling its horrible most of the time when I am out with my friends and the rest of their friends who I don't know as well as they do I just sit there hardly saying a word. The worst part of it for me is that its been getting worse the older I get it isn't getting any easier.

Meggy0001

Yeah I can't make new friends at all, everything just gets really awkward and I literally never say nothing. Its even worse when its a group of people and they ask me to hang out or something then I literally say nothing and just follow them around :( and just fade into the background :/ so I try to not make friends because I know sooner or later they will just be like "you are to quiet for me" and you seem "really boring" lol which I am not but no one ever gives me the chance to come out a bit more, so to avoid rejection I just try never make any.

May I ask how you got a boyfriend? If you're painfully shy and have a boyfriend, you must've done something right.
Haha well he's been my on and off boyfriend since I was in 8th grade but he doesn't have social anxiety or anything he just told me he thinks my shyness and awkwardness is attractive.

Yeah I can't make new friends at all, everything just gets really awkward and I literally never say nothing. Its even worse when its a group of people and they ask me to hang out or something then I literally say nothing and just follow them around :( and just fade into the background :/
that's exactly how I feel! I try to avoid being in situations like that now it sucks. Sometimes I can't tell if things are just awkward or if I'm over thinking things way too much in my head so it makes me feel more awkward and my anxiety starts to show.

i hav been in same situation since childhood i never had friends who understnds me n the one i hav i dont they r great ... m still waiting for sme gud frends n i think tat may reduce my level of anxiety coz i may go out more then bt m still waiting n u r seriously lucky tat u got smeone who understands u n u shud share evry feeling of urz with him coz it will help u n on the other end it will make ur relationshp strong . gud luck!!!