Making a difference in someone's life

dannyboy65

I always thought I was forgettable and not important to others for the longest time. I always felt alone and like I never mattered to anyone. It was hard on the head and I had no confidence. Recently I decided I want to study Resident Care Working and help people for a living. I started volunteering at a senior home and with an adult with autism. I love both of the experiences with a passion. For once I feel I have a meaning in my life. I feel confident, today I spoke in front of 30 seniors with no problem. I've become a role model for this man with autism who I am very happy to call my good friend who we can name Leo.

I mean something to these people. I talk to all the seniors and remember their names. They love just having someone to talk to, and I'm glad to be that person for them :). But who I think I really made the biggest impact on was on Leo. When I told him that I was spending every Monday and Wednesday afternoon with him he got so excited. He had a smile on all day, and was always laughing. He can't speak sentences but can say a select few words. He wrote on his pad that he was super excited and at the end of the day he said he really enjoyed our time together. Being that friend for someone that doesn't have many makes me feel amazing.

I wish I joined Resident Care Working earlier cause for once I feel confident and happy. I'm not relying on others for happiness now, instead I am making myself happy with all my tiny achievements and new friends I am making. For once I feel that I am memorable and am making a difference in someones life. I finally feel like I mean something. :)

GraybeardGhost

Great post, Danny! :thumbup:

Not too many people can do what you're doing or are even willing to try. I hope you'll continue to find your volunteer work as fulfilling as you do now. :)

dannyboy65

Great post, Danny! :thumbup:

Not too many people can do what you're doing or are even willing to try. I hope you'll continue to find your volunteer work as fulfilling as you do now. :)

Thank you. I am going to go further then volunteer work :). Currently this volunteer work is so I can get in a career in Resident Care Worker and help people even more then I already do.