m

Reholla

this is one of my fav. quotes!!

Carry out random acts of kindness every day, safe in the thought that other people when one day return it to you.

I think its a great idea....

Hold doors open for people, if you go to class help some one if they dont understand, leave notes of encouragement...etc. I remember when I didnt have SA I had other problems as well. And even though they seem small now, people still have problems even if you never would think they could. They may be just like us and bottle it up and front so that no one expects it.

OneAnaHalf

Once I bought a dozen doughnuts and brought them to my favorite videogame store and just gave them to the workers. It was fun and I know they had to be hungry. Maybe something like that would be nice. Or, give your mom/dad a thinking of you card with a really nice note on the inside. My mom loved that one ^_^

spikefan777

OneAnaHalf said:
Once I bought a dozen doughnuts and brought them to my favorite videogame store and just gave them to the workers. It was fun and I know they had to be hungry. Maybe something like that would be nice. Or, give your mom/dad a thinking of you card with a really nice note on the inside. My mom loved that one ^_^
Wow, that's so cool. I could've never thought of doing something like that for someone.

Septor

Re: Random acts of kindness

socratic said:
I had a cool thought today. Im gonna try, at least once a week to carry out a random act of kindness. This could be giving money to a homeless person, adopting a chimp, giving my niece my easter egg, giving money to charity. I think it'll be really healthy, as im not concentrating on myself i can try to learn to think about other people so im not obsessing about scary thoughts. Anyone got any good ideas for random acts of kindness?

That's a really good idea.The world would be a better place if everyone did that.I live in a building where alot of old people live so I end up carrying grocery,bags,once even a bed up a lot of stairs but I like helping people.

Have anyone here seen the movie Pay It Forward?It's a really good movie.It's about this kid that decide to do 3 random act of kindness to strangers and they intern have to the same thing to 3 other people and so on and so on.A really good movie if you have not seen it.

triceratops

A few weeks ago I gave ten pound to a blind person. I dont know why but blind people really get to me I know I shouldn but I feel really sorry for them. This guy was sat there playing a guitar in the middle of a shopping center I went up with the intention of only giving him a pound or something but when I put my hand in my pocket I just thought oh fuck it and gave him a ten pound note my sister is disabled so i think I have a soft spot for disabled people. gonna try and carry out more acts of kindness more often :D

Anyone else got any more acts of kindness stories?

scatmantom

in 20 years, will you look back and regret the things you have done, or will u regret the things you never got round to doing? I think its better to have a go, cos at least you can say you've tried!

(im sure there was a reason why i put this here, but rading over the thread again i cant see what it was hmmmm)

longlivesolitude

Great idea with the random acts of kindness :D It might be idea to even expand it to just be generous in all aspects of your life.
Overall I think it's really healthy just to have compasion for everyone you see instead of having this feeling of anger against people (I know that with SA it's easy to feel neglected and feel anger towards all the people we feel are hurting us). Being generous just gives much more. I'm not really super generous and I don't feel much for anyone at all, but it's definately worth it trying to feel more compasion to other people. And thumbs up for all the people in here who have mentioned a random act of kindness ;)

Mary

I have some suggestions for all you guys. I recently found this website its:
www.thehungersite.com
When you go on there is a thing in the middle that says: click here for free to donate food, and for every click they get they donate x amount of food to feed the hungry! It's free and takes a second. You can click on it every day!
Another easy one but maybe not so much for us, is to smile at everyone you see during the day. It is also free and can make someone feel better, but i know this might be a hard one for most of us to do, me included but maybe if we practice in front of the mirror and make sure we don't look wierd first until we feel comfortable then do it!
Or like Remus had said, we can try to help other's on this site by encouraging them or even when we come across someone we don't like instead of attacking them we could offer a kind word to them instead and try to understand where they are coming from? Or if you can't do that then the random act of kindness could be just not responding back something ugly to them, you know the saying,"If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all." :D

Quixote

I like the idea of a random act. So you don't feel you are trying to become a sainct, but still do some good, without giving it too much thought.

I think one good thing you can easily do in everyday life is to treat like equals people who do not get much respect from society. For example, if I give money to a beggar I don't walk past in a hurry afterwards, I say bye when I leave, and not in a fake compassionate tone but in a normal tone like I would say to any person.

Or if somebody asks me for advice I don't start using paternalistic tones and enjoy feeling superior, I just do it as if I was expressing a useful opinion that could be right or wrong.

Mary

I was just wondering if anyone had done any more random acts of kindness and wanted to remind everyone to click on the hunger site, its free and takes like 3 seconds to do, plus its an easy random act we can all do every day!! :)
This is the site:
www.thehungersite.com
Just click on the middle of the page, it will tell you where and give some food for the hungry. Thank you all who click! Youre doing something good.