Looking to have some dialogue with other agoraphobics...

mattcr

(Before I start, I have found a number of these agoraphobia forums/chat rooms. I am basically posting the same intro message about me on all of them, so pardon the repetition if you also frequent multiple sites).

I am looking for people just to have an online friendship with at this point.

I have been agoraphobic for over 15 years now, although I am sometimes able to travel with certain family members/friends in the right situations. I am probably what can be considered to be "situationally housebound" - if I can't find a safe person to go with me to a place I can't go alone, then I won't go and will stay home, isolated and alone.

I used to have a perfectly normal life until this hit me in my late twenties. I had lived in many different places including NYC, subways on a daily basis, lots of friends and partying until 4AM and beyond. The last job outside the house was a great one, I had to leave about $250,000 in stock options behind because this affliction was causing me to spiral downward. I figured at the time I was still young enough to get over this and claw my way back.

Now I am 45 years old, and have basically had no relationships since then. I have made a few friends here and there along the way, but basically I hold on the best I can to the realtionships I made when I was "normal". I am quite close with my siblings/in-laws, so that helps. Although they are growing increasingly frustrated with me as the years roll by, as I am with myself. I look at my Facebook page and pictures from my past, and it almost seems like another person. I used have parties of 300+ people growing up at my folks house, now that seems miles away.

Thing about me is that if I'm feeling good, you would never know anything is wrong with me - I have become a true master of disguise. And since many of my old friends have become quite successful themselves, I am still exposed to some cool stuff, when able (which is NOT very often).

Despite all this, I still hold out hope that someday I can still go back to living a somewhat normal life.

<ladybug>

My situation is similar to yours in some ways, but different in others. I have had agoraphobia for a few years and over that time it has slowly gotten worse. I am not housebound, but like you i am a "situational" agoraphobic. Although i prefer to be alone if i go somewhere. If i'm with a group of people (even my close friends) in an unfamiliar area, i worry that i will get sick in public. Although I have noticed the anticipation of going out is worse than actually being in public.

Anyway welcome to the forum.:)

nicole1

Thanks for sharing. I still try to have a normal life outside of this and hope to still achieve the goals I've set for myself. But I do struggle. Like after a bad semester, I have been holed up at home. I kinda go out here and there but mostly stay in and hide from the world.

I hope you find your normal life too.

Lccska

My life fell apart when I was about 36. I had 2 young daughters though, and I HAD to get better. I was a role model and needed to show them the ropes. I was off work for about a year. I was terrified to leave the house. I don't have agoraphobia, but I have agoraphobic features. I took small steps every day. I made myself go out and drive. Even if it was just to the end of the block. My job was about 25 miles away. It was tough, but I had to do it. Of course, I am taking an antidepressant and anti anxiety meds. They helped tremendously. Still do. My life was back on course, but not perfect in about a year. I'm now 51. I love my life, and I still have the illness. Set small goals every day. If you can't accomplish the goals, remind yourself you tried. Don't let a single day go by without trying to do some small step. It's very liberating. It gives you hope. When you start making progress you won't want to stop.

rustyrus303

i wish i could describe this problem to people without it... just tryin to go to the shops my heart go crazy n i cant breath... yunno! i felt a kinda normal for a while when i still had my girlfriend, but now im just depresed n alone.. i still hang out with friends but i feel alone without a girl. it was much easier being sad when i couldnt see happiness