Looking people in the eye.

DeadCities

This is a huge issue for me, even when I'm talking to close friends/family. Mostly It's because I think I'm pretty ugly and don't want them looking too closely at my face, so I sort of stare off in the distance or look down while talking to them, this is even worse with people I don't know. Anyone else have issues with this?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I get confused on how much eye contact I'm supposed to be making and when. I've read stuff on it, and I'm always trying to do the right ratio of eye contact and looking away so that I won't come off as abnormal. ::eek::

planemo

This is a huge issue for me, even when I'm talking to close friends/family. Mostly It's because I think I'm pretty ugly and don't want them looking too closely at my face, so I sort of stare off in the distance or look down while talking to them, this is even worse with people I don't know. Anyone else have issues with this?

I'm pretty much the same. I thought that my lack of eye contact could be related to possible NVLD and/or PDD-NOS, but I'm not sure. It could just be being too afraid to look people in the eye.

dooby-duck

I think my main problem with eye contact is that I'm think about it too much while I'm talking or listening to people. It doesn't occur naturally, so it can't ever look natural. I don't know it I'm giving too much or too little.

Liberty

Banned

I'd be surprised of anyone on this site didn't have a problem with it. It's one of the most common effects of having social phobia. It was the first thing that happened to me when I got it. I couldn't look people in the eye anymore. At first my eyes would be very "shaky" and dart from side to side quickly while I was making eye contact like that one fat actor from the movie Constantine and after a while I didn't have enough confidence to make eye contact with anyone.