Long term effects of glycopyrrolate?

wethandsandfeet

Does anyone know of the long term effects of glycopyrrolate? I've noticed that my eyes have need progressively more powerful spectacles since I started using them 2 years ago. Can others pitch in with their experiences?

margiehope

Haven't noticed anything unusual re eyesight. I'm pretty old, so I know we all go through times when our vision changes rapidly, other times when it slows down. I've been on glyco for several years now (bless it). I notice my throat and voice are sometimes hoarse--but who knows if that's related to the meds.

wethandsandfeet

The dry throat is definitely a side effect of glyco. This is manageable. My major concern is if there are other major effects like vison etc...i do get dry eyes from glyco...so decreased lubrication must lead to the deteriorating vision.

Rexus

I'm mostly scared of long term effects on cognition, since acetylcholine is involved in memory and learning and it is in short supply in people with alzheimer's. the things hh make you do sucks

wethandsandfeet

I'm mostly scared of long term effects on cognition, since acetylcholine is involved in memory and learning and it is in short supply in people with alzheimer's. the things hh make you do sucks

Agree.Taking pills for HH scares me...I only do it if necessary but I've had to do it regularly lately because I cannot get my Idromed 4PC to work for whatever reason.

Rexus

well, I'm taking ditropan in low doses (2 2.5 mg doses a day only, which is one 5 mg pill. Most people take 5 to 10 mg 2 to 3 times daily for hh). My goal is not to rid my body of sweat but to reduce it to an extent where I can somewhat function, so I'm good. The way I see it is that around 4 years from now, there WILL BE a cure for this, or at least a much superior treatment. I truly believe it, and till then, I'll keep using my **** anticholinergics and maintaining a healthy diet/exercise regime to keep my body in as best a shape I can.

Sprawling

Rexus, you have a nice positive attitude. I respect the fact you are willing to try most anything to help alleviate your HH.

cm123

Glyco has been shown to affect short term and long term memory. For this reason I try to only take it in extreme situations. I have noticed blurred vision, dry mouth and throat, loss or memory, headaches, and dry eyes amoung other things. A sime google search will being up the
multiple studies linking glyco to memory loss and slowing of the brain cognitively.

Luckily there is a much safer alternative oral medicine for hh available. Known as diltiazem.

Rexus

hey cm, about this diltiazem, how much is recommended a day? Thanks for your reply and i will try it out (I tried a calcium channel blocker before after i read your thread but it didnt help... maybe this certain brand would? Thanks)

cm123

hey cm, about this diltiazem, how much is recommended a day? Thanks for your reply and i will try it out (I tried a calcium channel blocker before after i read your thread but it didnt help... maybe this certain brand would? Thanks)

In clinical studies where Dltiazem was found to eliminate HH it was initiated;
administered every six hours for three days. On the
first day of treatment, each dose of diltiazem was 30 mg; on
the final two days, each dose was 60 mg.

Keep in mind on the third day the sweating was measured to be equal to that of a normal person and that in order to maintain these results the medicine would need to be continued. 60mg every 6 hours ;

Sprawling

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on Diltiazem via Google. Any info that I pulled up doesn't really say that much relating to HH. Diltiazem is a blood pressure medication. Make sure if you try this stuff that you consult your physician.

margiehope

The dry throat is definitely a side effect of glyco. This is manageable. My major concern is if there are other major effects like vison etc...i do get dry eyes from glyco...so decreased lubrication must lead to the deteriorating vision.

I wasn't talking about dry throat. I sometimes have "a bit sore and voice sounds like I have laryngitis" throat.