Locus of control

lithium

In my psychology class we touched upon an interesting concept. It is formally known as the locus of control. There are two different types of locus of control. The first is known as "External locus of control". It basically means that a person believes that their life is influenced by forces outside of their control. That the environment they are in has control of their life and what happens to them. The second, "Internal locus of control"; a person believes that they are in control of their life and the success they make out of it. People with a high internal locus of control tend to plan their day and stick to their schedule. In addition, they are less likely to become depressed. On the other hand, with external locus of control, people are more likely to give up easily, due to thinking that they cannot control their success. With external locus of control, people are more likely to be depressed. With that said, I have come to realize that I do not have a schedule, and rarely plan my day. I pretty much have an external locus of control. I am wondering if any of you that suffer from depression also have this "external locus of control" and whether changing to a "internal locus of control" would prove to be beneficial in the long run. Honestly, I lack the motivation and enthusiasm for a internal locus of control, but it may be worth a try.

lunarla

I'd say I have what you're describing as an internal locus of control. I believe that I control my successes (and failures), but I am deeply afraid that I won't be able to fully succeed at something to my standards, and so I don't try as hard or I give up. Perhaps the internal locus of control coinciding with a lack of confidence in one's self and efforts creates the depression. Because you have such high standards for yourself, yet believe you can never reach them. That seems to be the case for me, at least.

Yes, and its related to our attributional style. We attribute events which take place to our inadequacy and inability to control our surroundings and experiences. We thus become victims of controling forces rather than active agents in life. It's a major problem which I am still trying to overcome.