Lack of ambition?

Avery

One obstacle to overcoming my Social phobia is a complete lack of ambition. I've wasted a year at college and I still don't have a clue what I want to become. I could care less about the classes I have taken.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

To be honest, I don't really think it's fixable. I say this because I was similarly aimless early in college. The college counselor felt that finding a profession I wanted to enter would give me ambition and alleviate my depression, but despite finding the field most suited to my personality and financial needs, I'm not much better. There's no better major I could be pursuing, I'm sure of it, but I'm neither proud of my so-far-so-good grades nor excited about entering the workforce. I just do what I can and go home. Beyond my future paycheck and peace of mind, I don't care.

I think some people are ambitious as a matter of course -- they enjoy and take great pride in their accomplishments. And some of us do what we do out of necessity, or when the rewards are large enough to warrant the effort. If you're not the inherently ambitious type, your best bet is to keep those rewards in mind to keep your willpower up. I like to string myself along by buying myself lunch for every time I study an extra couple hours, or award myself with a new game if I really nail a test. I enjoy these things, and use them as reminders of better things to come.

If you're not the accomplishing type, that's really all you can do. Productive people aren't particularly moral, and they haven't discovered some secret; they just enjoy doing what they do on an intrinsic level, or they find the subsequent prestige too good to pass up. If there's some way to light a fire in one's belly for accomplishment as a goal in and of itself, I don't know it.

philly2bits

My lack of ambition is a problem for me. The jobs I've had were only so I had some money in my pocket and gas in my car. But I had no desire for anything more then that. I feel that if I had more ambition for things such as a career or a big house or millions of dollars it would help me with my SA since it would force me to deal with people. It's very hard to get ahead in a career without being able to communicate with others well.

EasySkankin

Ambition comes after you start working on fixing your social anxiety and you start to look forward to improving your financial situation and/or looking for a soulmate.

IAMN

One obstacle to overcoming my Social phobia is a complete lack of ambition. I've wasted a year at college and I still don't have a clue what I want to become. I could care less about the classes I have taken.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

What do you value most in life? Money? Social Status? Learning? Family? If you value sitting around all day doing nothing, then be the BEST sitting around all day doing nothing kind of person that you can.

dottie

usually the first year of college is spent on boring classes like frosh english and math. lots of people are playing catch up. have you taken any classes for fun? take at least one fun class each semester.

i think being indecisive in college is pretty typical. just don't stop, no matter what, even if you aren't decided on a major.

Anomaly

My lack of ambition comes from the fact that by the nature of a job, I wouldn't want to do it -- otherwise, it wouldn't be a job anymore. For instance, people often stress that one must find something that they would do even if they didn't get paid to do it. The problem is that I already do things that I don't get paid for from which I derive pleasure and things that cannot be classified as jobs.

Last edited: