L-theanine is working for me!

babel

Hello everyone,
I am new here and decided to post because something I learned from this forum is helping me with my anxiety. I forget the particular thread but some one made mention of the amino acid L-theanine as being helpful so I checked it out and it is doing wonders for me. Don't know if it would help everyone but just thought I would let others know

Stay blessed..... :D

babel

just about 2 weeks. I have seen huge mprovements in anticipatory anxiety which was a major problem for me since I have to do a lot of public speaking. I still feel the butterflies in my stomach but my voice no longer shakes....

2QuietForThem

I never heard of it. Is it a prescription or can I buy it in a store? I'm willing to try anything that won't cause a very noticable change. I kind of like being a quiet guy but I don't want to become a blabbering idiot.

Septor

You can buy it in the vitamin and herbal area of any supermarket or online easily.It's also in Green Tea.

jasonkidd

thanks. i'll also try it. where is it available. i went to Safeway, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and GNC today but they didn't have it

babel

Sorry, I don't live in the US. I ordered mine from a company dealing in US supplements here in Japan. You could check online....
The company that made the one I am using is called Source naturals but I'm not sure where they are based. Anyway...lots of company's make it so you can check online....

lily

hi babel, Can I ask how much L-theanine you take a day? I have one called Green Theanine.

babel

Hello Jinxed
I usually take one 200 mg capsule when I begin to feel stressed/anxious/ or the begining of fear symptoms. The calming effect usually starts anywhere from 15 to 30 mins right after taking. And the effects are also additive...becos taking another capsule an hr after that increases the calmness for me. It also improves my concentration a lot.

The effects wear away after a while....I think as the drug is eliminated by the body, so you will have to keep taking it for a while

I hope this helps :D

babel

hello Jinxed
Is Green Theanine made up of only theanine or is it a combination of a lot of other stuff? If it is, then the amount of theanine you took may not have been enough...then again it might be individual sensitivities...:wink:

It is not habit forming at all 'cos it is just an amino acid and I can do ok without it. I usually take it just for performance anxiety. I do have SP..but kind of a mild kind..I mean I have no problem going anyway....I just experience this intense panic when I become the center of focus like if I have to explain sth to a number of people etc.

I think the effect of theanine is related to amount in body, which decreases with time but I find that 2 or 3 caps a day goes a long way for me and I might not even have to take it the next day and I would still be fine..so I gues for me the effect lasts for more than a day. Also I have not experienced even the slightest bit of side effects at all. It seems to be without any side effects.

But I am still watching out of any signs. Hope this helps. Pls feel free to ask anytime. I don't usually post but i do check this site everyday as for most of us this is the only place to talk to s'one who understands.

Take Care :)

lily

Hi babel, it's contains l-theanine, Organic Alfafa leaf and green tea (decaffeinated).

babel

L-theanine works by increasing formation of GABA, which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter

Found the following info on the net;

# L-Theanine raises levels of a feel-good brain chemical called GABA. Usually, as we get older, the level of GABA decreases. L-Theanine raises GABA to more youthful levels.
# L-Theanine also seems to raise the feel-good brain chemical levels of serotonin and Dopamine. This means you feel calm and alert!

There's a lot more but they all basically say the same thing.

And No, I don't sell any products on any website. I read some where that pharmaceutical company's just bribe doctors to keep prescribing their prozac etc while there are very safe and equally effective stuff that one can take before trying other stronger stuff, So I thought I would share.
:)

jt

i have just taken one capsul of L-theanine and i feel very very relaxed. Cant say if it takes away SP yet.. cause it's my first pill and all, and I still have to see how it affects me at work. I'll report back then. So far, it's very relaxing!!

drop

I wonder if drinking pure Green Tea works similarly like pills with L-theanine.
Have you ever tried ? I've found Green Tea in the kitchen so maybe it's worth to try :p I will check how it works and post again :)

Snowcrash

ok, I am in on this little amino experiment.

Picked some up at a Whole Foods.

I'll post any interesting effects.

Icecube

I'm taking since 3 days now supplements that contain tryptophane (creates serotonine) and GABA (to better cope with stress) and magnesium and vitamins B1,B2,B3 and B6.

I also take bach flowers on top of it (hopefully the combination won't mess things up)