Know-it-all syndrome RANT

I hate people who think they know everything in the world and talk down to you at every opportunity when in all actuallity, they are completely WRONG and full of **** about 90% of the time. Have you ever argued with one of these jackasses? Isn't it just infuriating?!?!? My brother is one of these people who just knows more than you, is smarter than you, more enlightened than you, more important than you, etc in every way, shape and form. And if you disagree with his divinely blessed opinion, you are just ignorant, got it?? I mean, this is really how his mind works. The sad thing is, he is smart in many ways, and so many people are fooled by his BS.

Example: I drink wine WAY TOO MUCH. Like, I've been going through about two bottles of Merlot, all different brands, a week! I know what Merlot tastes like, right? When you drink one type of alcohol, you pretty much know what it's supposed to taste like. I get a bottle of Merlot, and it has that awful vinegary, sour taste and smell which immediately lets you know it's oxidized and BAD because of the way it's stored. I mean, there's no debate, if you know what merlot tastes like and drink it with any kind of frequency, you know this ain't right!! My brother, who maybe drinks a glass of wine casually 3 times a year starts railing on me, "You don't know what you're talking about!!....This is a good wine, you just need to let it set out a while, blah, blah, blah...You just think because you drink cheap Merlot you know when merlot is bad. You don't know what the **** you're talking about. blah blah". he gets all indignant and belligerant about how stupid and "uninformed" I am about this type of wine I drink every week and that he NEVER drinks.

What do you say during such a ridiculous argument like this? When you know you're right and the other Know-it-all is full of complete BS??? I know I should be the bigger person and let it go, but how can you not open your mouth against such a stupid person?

In the same day, he also pissed me off when we were watching a band on TV. My brother's a guitarist and a music fanatic. I said how much I like them and he's like, "I just don't like them. They're boring. I think most people who like them are just ignorant of music and don't listen to a lot of music". Hmmm, I listen to tons of music, was raised in the same musical family as you, so it's like, thanks douche. And when I tell him that millions of people like them and just because he doesn't appreciate them doesn't mean that everyone who does is stupid he's like "Sorry, it's just a fact, most people who listen to this don't have a great taste in music and don't know a lot about different music" And i'm like WOWWWWWW....how can you seriously be so pretentious?

People like this cause me great anxiety. I can't take it!!!

Rembrandt Broam

I hate people who think they know everything in the world and talk down to you at every opportunity when in all actuallity, they are completely WRONG and full of **** about 90% of the time. Have you ever argued with one of these jackasses? Isn't it just infuriating?!?!? My brother is one of these people who just knows more than you, is smarter than you, more enlightened than you, more important than you, etc in every way, shape and form. And if you disagree with his divinely blessed opinion, you are just ignorant, got it?? I mean, this is really how his mind works. The sad thing is, he is smart in many ways, and so many people are fooled by his BS.

Example: I drink wine WAY TOO MUCH. Like, I've been going through about two bottles of Merlot, all different brands, a week! I know what Merlot tastes like, right? When you drink one type of alcohol, you pretty much know what it's supposed to taste like. I get a bottle of Merlot, and it has that awful vinegary, sour taste and smell which immediately lets you know it's oxidized and BAD because of the way it's stored. I mean, there's no debate, if you know what merlot tastes like and drink it with any kind of frequency, you know this ain't right!! My brother, who maybe drinks a glass of wine casually 3 times a year starts railing on me, "You don't know what you're talking about!!....This is a good wine, you just need to let it set out a while, blah, blah, blah...You just think because you drink cheap Merlot you know when merlot is bad. You don't know what the **** you're talking about. blah blah". he gets all indignant and belligerant about how stupid and "uninformed" I am about this type of wine I drink every week and that he NEVER drinks.

What do you say during such a ridiculous argument like this? When you know you're right and the other Know-it-all is full of complete BS??? I know I should be the bigger person and let it go, but how can you not open your mouth against such a stupid person?

In the same day, he also pissed me off when we were watching a band on TV. My brother's a guitarist and a music fanatic. I said how much I like them and he's like, "I just don't like them. They're boring. I think most people who like them are just ignorant of music and don't listen to a lot of music". Hmmm, I listen to tons of music, was raised in the same musical family as you, so it's like, thanks douche. And when I tell him that millions of people like them and just because he doesn't appreciate them doesn't mean that everyone who does is stupid he's like "Sorry, it's just a fact, most people who listen to this don't have a great taste in music and don't know a lot about different music" And i'm like WOWWWWWW....how can you seriously be so pretentious?

I've learnt to just stop arguing with people like that. It's difficult I know because, like you say, over matters like the wine you know that they are wrong and want to make them see it, but they never will. People like that will never back down. Trying to get them to admit they are wrong is like trying to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Remus

Staff member
I buy screw top wine, it's cheap but less chance of being corked, I hate wine snobs too, I know what I like lol

I go for the aussie reds usually ;)

coyote

How your brother (and many folks like him) truly feels about himself may very well be completely the opposite from the image he projects.

Perhaps his air of superiority and condescension is really a mask for low self-worth and lack of confidence.

When he starts spouting off, just shrug and give him a self-satisfied grin as you say, "Whatever, dude." - just to let him know that you are secure in your own tastes, opinions, knowledge.

Attempting to argue may just make him think that you aren't any more confident than he is.

I usually just nod along. Unless it's something extremely important. Hmmm.. I'm just guessing, but if that person isn't a sibling or such, it really wouldn't matter much. It's when it's someone near you that it becomes difficult.. especially a sibling because (from my own observation) there's not just that facet that you may not like... there'll be a whole lot of other issues as well.

And I've seen some siblings where the 'know-it-all' thing comes from a lack of communication somewhere along the way... One sibling feels threatened by the other or feels small for whatever reason. As with most matters relating to family, it's usually a complex thing.

On a completely unrelated note lol.. what a coincidence... your avatar (Vermeer?) is on the cover of the library book right beside me this very instant. The art book says it's the Dutch Mona Lisa or something like that... either way, it's very beautiful.

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note lol.. what a coincidence... your avatar (Vermeer?) is on the cover of the library book right beside me this very instant. The art book says it's the Dutch Mona Lisa or something like that... either way, it's very beautiful.

Haha, that's funny.. yes I'm obsessed with Vermeer! I have this painting (Girl with a Pearl Earring) framed and hanging in my room, too, and "The Geographer" on my computer screen LOL.

Rembrandt Broam

Whenever I see that picture now, I think of Anxiousnut and her venting about all the idiots who p*** her off. :D

Haha, that's funny.. yes I'm obsessed with Vermeer! I have this painting (Girl with a Pearl Earring) framed and hanging in my room, too, and "The Geographer" on my computer screen LOL.

Hmm... there's an art game on the web. A simple jigsaw of sorts. But quite fun to play involving this very artist. That's the first time I got to know of Vermeer. You might want to try it out if you're bored. I don't have the link though as I played that game several months ago. Say.. do you paint?