Just starting taking Celexa, but am curious about "The Mood Cure"

beals

Hey everyone,

Well I finally went to my doctor last week to prescribe me some medication for my anxiety. I'm starting on 5mg of Celexa, which will increase to 10mg on friday.

The thing is...my sister just bought this book called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. (The Mood Cure) It talks about getting rid of anxiety, depression and other problems naturally through food and vitamins. I've always thought nutrition played a big role with anxiety, so I want to give this a try. It would be a better alternative, in my opinion, than to take an antidepressant for the rest of my life. The problem is...I just started this new medication right, and I feel like I should at least give it a chance. My doctor will probably encourage me to try it for the full month as well. I don't know. I feel so conflicted. Plus this medication is making me extremely tired, and this mood cure deal is supposed to help you much faster. Do you think it would be a better option to try to cure myself naturally with supplements? Or do people with serious anxiety disorders absolutely need antidepressants?

beals

Just wanted to give a little update on my situation.

I've been on Celexa for about 2 weeks, and it's working pretty well! At first I was extremely tired, but that went away in a couple days. I feel way calmer already and it's supposed to be working at it's fullest after a month. Yesterday my teacher mentioned the papers we wrote would have to be presented on Monday and my heart didn't even skip a beat!! Usually when I hear about presentations my heart starts going a mile a minute, even if it's 5 months away.

My sister has been following The Mood Cure and it's been helping her, so that's good too! She doesn't have as extreme anxiety as I do, she only gets nervous in appropriate situations, but I'm glad it's working for her.

Hey that's good to hear beals, thanks for the update. I'll be honest and pessimistic and say that I don't think that foods or vitamins can help us quite enough with our situation ;). If CBT therapy (which is supposedly "the best" method out there to fix SA) can't really do it on it's own, much less can vitamins/foods, in my opinion. I think it may help people with just shyness more though.

beals

I'll be honest and pessimistic and say that I don't think that foods or vitamins can help us quite enough with our situation ;).
Yeah, I was thinking this too but I wanted to believe otherwise lol. I'm glad I stuck with the meds, hopefully it continues to work well! It's just strange not being so nervous on a daily basis. I still feel like I want to avoid people and keep to myself even though I feel fine. Gotta break that habit, time to finally start stepping out of my shell!

Thanks for replying, btw.

And to anyone thinking of going to the doctor's for a prescription, just go for it! I feel better than I have felt in ages.

^I second that.

If there's one tip I could give you beals, is even though you feel fine, DO NOT avoid people and keep to yourself - do the OPPOSITE. This will help to keep the medication working, otherwise, it'll lose its effectiveness. The medication can make you feel calm/good, but your mind can also get used to it or even make it less effective through your behaviour...

So try to stick with behaviour that compliments what the drug is trying to do :)

beals

Wow, really? I'll definitely start making more of an effort. How do you know this can happen, if you don't mind me asking? Did you experience something like it?

sevenroses

Great to hear that you are doing well on Celexa. You could also first try alternative things if you want like CBT therapy, exercise, vitamin supplements like B-vitamins, etc.

Wow, really? I'll definitely start making more of an effort. How do you know this can happen, if you don't mind me asking? Did you experience something like it?

Yeah I did, with prozac (though it makes sense that it is the same with all drugs as it is known that all drugs do not work for everyone so they're not 100% fail-proof, I think that we ourselves decide a lot of how well it's going to work ;)). I'm not sure if it's a physical thing (it might be - thus probably why your doctor is going to increase your dosage) but my body got used to the effects of prozac... to me, it felt like I was going against the drug by avoiding social situations and sitting in my room all day. I think this eventually made theou drug ineffective. I am no doctor, but I reason that our behaviour affects alot how the medicine will affect/help us. So try to be as social as you can :). Certainly don't come on spw and brag/share about how well you are doing - that doesn't count as social interaction (trust me ;)).