Just how much bullying affects someone

Shant

Something tells me I've been underestimating just how much bullying has affected me long-term, although I have a nagging feeling that it might be pretty significant.

I've had other issues not worth getting into, but one of them, bullying, might be the main cause behind a few problems. Despite making much progress as of late, I've hit a brick wall on a few perceptions I am failing to change:

- "Everyone is only going to hurt me; they hate me."
- "There's nothing good that can come from trusting someone."
- "Why should I be myself if everyone would hate me for it?"
- "Why be honest to others if they just tell me to shut up?"
- "There's no point in getting close to others."

These things I think might be attributed to bullying. I haven't been bullied for a while, but for others here who have been bullied, do some of those perceptions sound familiar by chance?

Society insists on saying stuff like, "Oh, everyone gets bullied, it's normal, so stop with the self-pity and get back to work", so I've been hesitant on seeing just how much bullying's really affected me personally, but in retrospect, I think it might have been the worst thing that's happened that's been the main cause behind social anxiety.

So... does anyone else here think I might be on the right track, or dead wrong?

Last edited:

Kiwong

Bullying seems to be a major cause in the development of anxiety and depression in so many sufferers.

And yes Shant, I have had so many of those perceptions over my life. I find developing trust very difficult. They are built from a low self esteem that was the result of bullying.

My parents had nothing to do with my anxiety,they probably saved my life in my adolescent years. If I hadn't had them to turn to I may have become more suicidal

Beyond Timid

There were some kids who made fun of me, but it never went to bullying.
I think it's family for me since my mom always got mad over the smallest things. She cussed a lot.