Just had a Job Interview

hyp-hi

I just had a job interview and as you know, having hyperhidrosis made it very stressful. Not to mention, the inside of the building was very warm and it was on the 2nd floor which did not help, and I was wearing a suit jacket. I was ok up until I got in there, then I started sweating. My HH has been pretty bad the past few weeks so I was worried about this.

The first hand shake was ok. My hands weren't sweating that much at first. As the interview went along I started sweating more. I tried to dry them on my clothes discretely throughout the interview. I was prepared and they made me feel comfortable so that at least helped.

Then they asked me to use a touch screen tablet and show them how to use it. My hands were already dripping and now they want me to use a tablet! I was so uncomfortable. I was leaving sweat marks on the outside and on the table. Luckily I got through it and I don't think it was that noticeable.

At the end I tried to dry my hands on my clothes before the exit hand shake. It wasn't too bad.

So now because of HH I don't even know if I will take the job even if they offer it to me. This sucks. It makes life so difficult.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant about this and share my experience.

aries86

My heart goes out to you. Everything you said is so familiar. I know the feeling exactly. Job interviews are the worst. It sounds like you covered pretty good though. I always dread the handshakes at job interviews. I think this is the worst part about HH is we have to worry and stress over the "little things". I hate it because when I have a job interview, I don't stress at all about the interview. Its just that handshake that makes me stress. I had the same thing happen when I got married. I wasn't worried at all about how the wedding or reception would go. But, I was stressed to death about shaking hands with guests, showing my ring, the first dance, the ceremony, etc. Pretty much everything else other than what a normal person would think about. Anyways...good luck on the job. Hope you got it:)

awkwardamanda

That's rough.:sad:

I remember going to my first day at a new job on a hot day in June. I was wearing a blue short-sleeved blouse. When I was in the bathroom, I turned sideways in front of the mirror and noticed sweat stains by my armpits on the back of my shirt. It was so embarrassing. I didn't have a sweater at all to cover it. That was when I got fed up and decided to try a clinical strength antiperspirant. But that only worked slightly better, while being loads messier. The only thing that (kind of) works for me is Certain Dri.

sportsfan8

I just had a job interview and as you know, having hyperhidrosis made it very stressful. Not to mention, the inside of the building was very warm and it was on the 2nd floor which did not help, and I was wearing a suit jacket. I was ok up until I got in there, then I started sweating. My HH has been pretty bad the past few weeks so I was worried about this.

The first hand shake was ok. My hands weren't sweating that much at first. As the interview went along I started sweating more. I tried to dry them on my clothes discretely throughout the interview. I was prepared and they made me feel comfortable so that at least helped.

Then they asked me to use a touch screen tablet and show them how to use it. My hands were already dripping and now they want me to use a tablet! I was so uncomfortable. I was leaving sweat marks on the outside and on the table. Luckily I got through it and I don't think it was that noticeable.

At the end I tried to dry my hands on my clothes before the exit hand shake. It wasn't too bad.

So now because of HH I don't even know if I will take the job even if they offer it to me. This sucks. It makes life so difficult.

You better take it if they offer it to you! Unless you see yourself having to shake hands all day at the job, there's no reason for you not to take it.

I too have had difficulty during job interviews and always seem to bomb, but I've come to realize that it's due more to my anxiety than it is my sweating. I get so nervous that my voice starts to shake and I'm always shorter with my responses than I plan to. Sure, the 5+ sweaty handshakes don't help but I'm starting to realize that my anxiety is a bigger problem than the sweating is, which isn't good.

pinksuede

I feel for you. I've had HH my entire life, and it's been hard to deal with. I found something that has helped me though. It's a pill called oxybutynin. I think the trade name is Ditropan. It is used for bladder problems like urinary frequency. I don't know if a doctor would prescribe it for you, but you could ask. Sounds like you did well in the interview. Hopefully, you will get the job. Good luck!

hyp-hi

Aries, you are right about stressing just about the sweat. I felt like half my mind was focused on the interview and the other half was focused on how much I was sweating. So you managed to get though a wedding with HH? Impressive!

Awkwardamanda, yes the sweat marks can be embarassing. I always try to wear layers to help absorb it even if it makes things warmer.

Sportsfan, I haven't heard back yet, but I'm still on the fence about it. I have a feeling I will be in similar situations working closely with people which can be very stressful when sweating. I may go back and ask to shadow an employee to get a complete idea on what it will be like before accepting it. I currently have a job so I'm not desperate to take it.

Pinksuede, I have heard of that one but never tried it. I tried Glycopyrrolate and that helped a bit for a while, but I don't use it any more.

CharlesN

My heart goes out to you. Everything you said is so familiar. I know the feeling exactly. Job interviews are the worst. It sounds like you covered pretty good though. I always dread the handshakes at job interviews. I think this is the worst part about HH is we have to worry and stress over the "little things". I hate it because when I have a job interview, I don't stress at all about the interview. Its just that handshake that makes me stress. I had the same thing happen when I got married. I wasn't worried at all about how the wedding or reception would go. But, I was stressed to death about shaking hands with guests, showing my ring, the first dance, the ceremony, etc. Pretty much everything else other than what a normal person would think about. Anyways...good luck on the job. Hope you got it:)

So many of us were in the same boat. U describe perfectly everything I felt as well. I like my job, yet I'd like to go through interviews right now as my hands are ridiculously dry and I now almost look for opportunities to shakes hands... For those that still suffer, I find the fist-bump is your friend. If you get the fist out there first - they almost have to give u a fist-bump for fear of not looking cool. :)

CharlesN

I know how you feel. When I got my current job, I knew I could do whatever they asked, that wasn't a fear. But I dreaded the "first-day welcome" hand-shakes enough that I felt ill all day and it took me a week before I felt the slightest bit comfortable. I couldn't use touch-screen phones, I couldn't play video games without soaking the controllers. It really was a major pain. It's one of those things where it can overshadow what is important and truly impact your quality of life. But you can't let HH prevent you from taking a job you like - then HH wins. And if you haven't tried ionto, I highly recommend at least giving it a shot. From reading here, it doesn't work for everyone and may not last forever, but it certainly does work for some and I am living proof that anyone can even build their own unit inexpensively and literally change their life for the better.

Good luck,

hyp-hi

Charles, thanks for the encouragement. You are right about not letting HH win and prevent you from getting something you want. Also the fist bump is a good option, but probably better for informal settings. I use ionto now and it helps a bit, but I still sweat in stressful situations.

SweatParty

hyp-hi: Why did you stop using glycopyrrolate? It works quite well for me. Just 1mg on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. That usually covers me until at least early afternoon while at work. I still get sweaty sometimes, but not nearly as often as before. I've been using it for almost 3 years now!

To everyone who says they stress about sweating instead of the actual content of the situation (i.e. job interview, wedding, etc), I agree 100%. I went through a couple horribly sweaty job interviews in the past. Fortunately, I somehow was not too sweaty on the day of the interview for the job I actually got and still have. Surely it was due to it being a fairly cool day, and having air conditioning in the office.

One tip: If you know that you have to fill out any forms for an interview, ask if you can do them ahead of time via email. That way at least when you show up, you don't have the additional worry of filling out papers with potentially sweaty hands.

hyp-hi

hyp-hi: Why did you stop using glycopyrrolate? It works quite well for me. Just 1mg on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. That usually covers me until at least early afternoon while at work. I still get sweaty sometimes, but not nearly as often as before. I've been using it for almost 3 years now!

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I think it was a combination of it not working as well as before and the dry mouth/throat.

SweatParty

It may be worth trying glyco again if it has been a while for you. So far to me it is the most helpful solution to HH. Just drink lots of water and rinse your eyes/nose out with water to combat the dryness.