It's Just A Brain Imbalance

insecuregaga

I thought I was just weird, always repeating things over and over, always having to have things untouched and organised precisely, getting anxiety over the most simplest things but then I saw this and things became more clear to me.

Left Brain Vs Right Brain Education - YouTube

On the same topic, I saw this documentary on this woman who had brain surgery to treat her depression, they just literally stuck in and tweaked her brain and she couldn't stop being happy all of a sudden.

Never believe when someone says to just get over it because it has absolutely nothing to do with personality. Did you know that addicted drug addicts light up the same part of the brain used by gamblers?

The brain is fascinating and delicate and controls everything from birth, personality can only change brain formation at best but that's not the basis.

Also it has other things in the vid that others May miss but don't :)

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

Cool video. I think we all here are great and sensitive people more so than the average and it is in that way of being in the world that makes it hard for us to fit in b/c like the video said we think differently, using the right side of our brains. I never learned the same, i disliked the way we were taught dates and regurgitated figures and that was the measure of intelligence-I always thought that was a flawed system. I hated school b/c I knew I was smart but I detested everything about the way things were taught and the way teachers catered to those students who were able to just memorize and never really question anything. I questioned everything but also being shy and not comfortable speaking-up I got left behind so many times. It's really sad the way society rewards those who really are not worthy, it's why the world is going to **** like the video said. The people w/ hearts, the thinkers and feelers who really could make a difference in the world are medicated and told they are fundamentally flawed.
This has to change.

Last edited:

Tron

While this is true (to an extent) and while it's educational, it can also be counter-productive with respect to OCD. I was about as anxious and as "OCD" as you could be for most of my life. A little more then a year ago I found out that what I have is actually called "OCD" and I spent countless hours educating myself on it. The result has been nothing short of miraculous and I am thankful for my progress every day. My biggest change (and most grueling fight) was with stopping my tapping, checking, counting, straightening, organizing, etc. It took many months of hard work but i've finally gotten to the point where I don't need to do ANY of that. My anxiety levels are lower then they have been my ENTIRE LIFE. Now, I still have some repetitive thoughts..mostly around meaningless things, but even that is getting better on a daily basis.

My point is that OCD is not a disease, but rather a disorder and while neurons on the lower part of the brain "misfire" more in those who are OCD....that imbalance can be corrected and the brain "trained." My personal experience proves that and if you look at the success rate of CBT and Exposure Therapy for those with OCD, the rate of cure is well over 80%. I have read that you can have brain surgery for OCD as well, but that is just insane as far as i'm concerned. If the numbers were reversed and maybe CBT and HARD, HARD WORK couldn't correct this disorder that is OCD..then that would be a different story. All in all, I would feel sorry for anyone with OCD who just used the "chemical imbalance" excuse as just that to not seek help for themselves or do the work and fight to correct this disorder on their own because in the long run the OCD can and likely will drive you to the nut house.

Last edited:
Interesting. Originally I suffered from PTSD and when I went to my then GP she told me I needed to correct the chemical imbalance in my brain. So I got a combination of anti-anxiety, sleeping and god knows what else pills.

I took them for a while and then rejected them. Because I felt and feel that a chemical imbalance is a result of something else happening (at least in my case). That imbalance may be so but pills were always just masking the symptoms of a bigger problem. I still had PTSD but now I was happy. It was just wrong.

insecuregaga

While this is true (to an extent) and while it's educational, it can also be counter-productive with respect to OCD. I was about as anxious and as "OCD" as you could be for most of my life. A little more then a year ago I found out that what I have is actually called "OCD" and I spent countless hours educating myself on it. The result has been nothing short of miraculous and I am thankful for my progress every day. My biggest change (and most grueling fight) was with stopping my tapping, checking, counting, straightening, organizing, etc. It took many months of hard work but i've finally gotten to the point where I don't need to do ANY of that. My anxiety levels are lower then they have been my ENTIRE LIFE. Now, I still have some repetitive thoughts..mostly around meaningless things, but even that is getting better on a daily basis.

My point is that OCD is not a disease, but rather a disorder and while neurons on the lower part of the brain "misfire" more in those who are OCD....that imbalance can be corrected and the brain "trained." My personal experience proves that and if you look at the success rate of CBT and Exposure Therapy for those with OCD, the rate of cure is well over 80%. I have read that you can have brain surgery for OCD as well, but that is just insane as far as i'm concerned. If the numbers were reversed and maybe CBT and HARD, HARD WORK couldn't correct this disorder that is OCD..then that would be a different story. All in all, I would feel sorry for anyone with OCD who just used the "chemical imbalance" excuse as just that to not seek help for themselves or do the work and fight to correct this disorder on their own because in the long run the OCD can and likely will drive you to the nut house.

Agreed. Just really hard to get out of those times when your "stuck in a moment"j. Ocd and depression are really hard things to overcome, some will struggle in life more than others because of this. However the brain is not made out of stone and can be change too.