It sucks that

MobiusX

I wish I had good speaking skills cause that's why I didn't get the last job I went to the group interview for, because I wasn't able to talk in front of the group. Everyone else was easily able to do it, they sounded so smart. It sucks. I couldn't even smile or fake a smile, because I don't normally do it. Now that I do not have a job, and the clock keeps ticking, I am even thinking about joining the navy or marines or somethin', gotta do somethin' with my life since I am not in college because for several reasons.

emmdee

Well...i would advise against joining the navy unless you absolutely want to, but i guess it's your choice. As another option, have you tried therapy? Maybe it will help, and in the next group job interview you have you can sound damn smart and get the job.

MobiusX

cannot afford therapy no matter what the price is, the main problem is that I don't smile, that's exactly what they were looking for, and people who actually talk, I wasted 25 dollars for gas to get there and go back home, I couldn't talk because then everyone would of turn to me. I don't really have a choice, but the navy and marines are my only options now. I don't want to turn crazy being in my bedroom forever. I can imagine navy and marines as a social anxiety camp or somethin' to not make it sound so bad.

recluse

Well I was thinking in desperation to join the army but I got my old job back. Wouldn't being in the forces be a nightmare for s phobics? I mean having to sleep, eat and shower with everyone else?

nope1

recluse said:
Well I was thinking in desperation to join the army but I got my old job back. Wouldn't being in the forces be a nightmare for s phobics? I mean having to sleep, eat and shower with everyone else?
A shy friend (whom I think was social phobic) told me he was forced into a corner in order to be comfortable socially. His family forced him to get a job at a retail store.

At the beginning, it was hard, EXTREMELY hard. He felt like he was gonna explode for several months. But then, he got used to it little by little until he's confortable with people.
He's still shy but he accepts who he is and got a great self-esteem that made him live his life.

And I think that's the way. I think us, social phobics, we'll always be "shy" in social situations. But if we are persistent in our struggle EVEN when the road seems rough, EVEN we feel as if we want to explode or die, we have to keep on going because the end of the tunnel will feel great.

I'm still struggling, I'm not lying, it's been just recently that I began going to the University's library to finish my courses needed to enter a program. And I'm still having trouble with the fact about having to get a job at a retail store and just be social with the customers.
Maybe I'll find a job as a security officer. But if I have to go retail, It's going to be hell for me.

But now I know that you at least need SOME good friends with whom you can tell them anything so that you can move on. You can't keep stuff inside.

So to return to the question, yes, it might be a good idea to enter the navy but think about the future.
Sure you're going to have a good discipline... but that comes at a price. Are you ready to go to war and serve your country? That's a big responsibility.

But if you really need a job... maybe find one that isn't socially active and maybe a little down the "food chain". Yes I know... it can be demeaning, but you can say for yourself that this is just temporary and that you're going to get better and find a better job.

Btw, this is just my 2cents ;) I hope you'll find a good job and that you'll know how to handle your social phobia.