It is easier to avoid problems than to face them

MrTimid&Shy

this is from a book i'm reading right now called "The Lies We Believe" very helpful I recommend for everyone

"Fearing the pain involved, almost all of us, to a greater or lesser degree, attempt to avoid problems. We procrastinate, hoping that they will go away. We ignore them, forget them, pretend they do not exist...We attempt to get out of them rather than suffer through them. This tendency to avoid problems and the emotional suffering inherent in them is the primary basis of all human mental illness." - Scott Peck (The Road Less Traveled)

I guess all of us that avoid our pain end up with more in the long run?

CrzyDrmr

this is from a book i'm reading right now called "The Lies We Believe" very helpful I recommend for everyone

"Fearing the pain involved, almost all of us, to a greater or lesser degree, attempt to avoid problems. We procrastinate, hoping that they will go away. We ignore them, forget them, pretend they do not exist...We attempt to get out of them rather than suffer through them. This tendency to avoid problems and the emotional suffering inherent in them is the primary basis of all human mental illness." - Scott Peck (The Road Less Traveled)

I guess all of us that avoid our pain end up with more in the long run?

If all I will get at the end of the road is mental illness for avoiding my problems, maybe I should start correcting them...nah...

reslo

yeah i definitely spend more time worrying about people judging me than it would actually take for each one of those people to pass judgement

drganon

Avoiding problems instead of facing them is one of my many mottos. That and never go to the sci-fi restaurant at Disney world, that place is horrible.

Srijita52

I always avoid my problem,its easier than to actually face them.Though I think its really harmful in the long run cos while it never solves the problem it makes it even worse.I sometimes feel if I keep avoiding social situations like this one day I'll end up locked in my room alone.I read somewhere that the best way to cure a phobia is to expose our selves to the feared situations,but I just can't seem to do it.Good book though,I think I'll read it,thanks for sharing.

Fighter86

Actually yes, it is easier to avoid problems than addessing them. I have adressesed like 20% of my SA problems for the 2 years half, the real isues, I have skirted, so I am stucked anyway. Not a good situation to be in.

I think it is just a survival mechanism to avoid what hurts the most in life, but yes, then the problem just snowballs into a bigger problem. When you've been hurt so much in your life it is difficult to go against your developed survival tactic and make yourself deal with problems as soon as they arise.::(:

da_illest101

yup that sure sounds like me, I dodge my problems like a boxer dodge punches, so much easier like that ... at least for now

mackayfire

Yep I'm a major avoider. Most of the time I'm off in my own head and daydreams to avoid parts of reality I can't cope with. It's also easy to do it when you are around people who enable you to carry on.

Lilly20

It easier not to deal, but then you realize how boring you have become. Which in turn does a number on your self esteem.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Avoidance IS an addiction. It's a broader way; can lead to other avoidant ways of facing problems but I know it's easy to slide into the habit; even knowing it makes things worse long-term and is illogical, still do it, like any addiction.

nothingtofear

I most certainly live a life style of avoidance and there's most certainly been many times when avoidance was not in my best interest.

Richey

sometimes avoidance can be a good thing rather then throwing yourself into something that ends up being disastrous afterwards...so it can be a good thing to be on the back foot but often you don't know what is best until you try it so its all just a massive paradox anyway. Both can be good and not so good but you won't know until its been attempted, confused yet?