It feels like my mom controls me and it triggers my depressed...

It really feels like my mom controls me a lot. It feels like she is bothered by everything I do. I feel like I don't have the freedom at all. She also thinks she knows me when she doesn't. I know myself more than anyone else. Just because she's my mom doesn't me she knows me.One example of how she controls me is that. My mom always has been obsessed over my weight. And Other people have to. But you see I love myself for who I am. One guy said my stomach wasn't flat. But he was talking about himself because he's fatter than me. It really hurt me though.. On top of that my mom has always bothered me about my weight for a long time. Months later this other guy thought I had an eating disorder. He thought that because I was skinnier than him. But my mom is still obsessing over my weight. Before she thought I ate to much and now she doesn't think I don't eat at all. I don't get it! I'm so frustrated. Now she thinks I need to gain weight or something. It makes me sick.She says she needs to monitor my eating habits. OMG!! I don't know what she is talking about though. I know I am away from home but I think she is taking it to far. She puts ideas in her head about me. Not just this but other things. I think she projects her own problems on to me. Like the other people I mentioned. It's awful. She constantly is bothered by me being skinny. Sometimes she is and sometimes she isn't. Even when I discuss food she gets mad at me. Because she thinks I don't eat. When I say I'm not hungry sometimes she yells at me.I hardly even say it though. I don't get it. But then remember its because what she thinks about me. She also thinks that I am watching calories. One time I just said the number of calories on something and then she said you don't need to watch calories. But I'm like what?? I never said I did. I just read the sign! I'm uncomfortable around her though. Another example of how she controls me is that It feels like she wants me to think like her and believe the things she does. But I don't. It's not me. I am my own person.Therefore she seems to have a problem. Also this is off topic from her controlling behavior. But when she's angry she like to take it out on other people when they are around. Then she bullies them. I feel like that though. She bullies me when she's angry. I get upset about it. Then her mood changes and she's not that way anymore. But anyways she triggers symptoms of my depression. Plus she always has yelled at me for no reason. Now ever since she did that, I think everyone is mad at me and or yelling at me. I don't know what to do. I need help coping. Has anyone else dealt with their mom controlling them? How did you cope? I just need some tips on how I can handle the situation better. I would appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Xervello

You must've repeated five or six times how you didn't have a problem/eating disorder. Maybe it's just how you communicate, but typically, to me, when someone continually points out something they aren't or don't do, it makes me wonder. Like there's more to the story. At any rate, I'm sorry that you feel depressed. Is there anything in your life that you DO feel you have control over? Be it a musical ability, some creative outlet, your job, anything. Something that makes you feel like you have power over. That can help ease the stress of feeling like others are controlling you. As for how to deal with your mother, I can't speak to that. But I wish you luck with her, and all of it.

"You must've repeated five or six times how you didn't have a problem/eating disorder. Maybe it's just how you communicate, but typically, to me, when someone continually points out something they aren't or don't do, it makes me wonder. Like there's more to the story."

Yeah I can see why you said that. But that isn't the case. The reason I said it that many times is because that's how I communicate sometimes. But anyways thank you so much for your reply. Yeah I do feel like I have something in my life I do have control over.