Is what we want always what we need?!

xtina_fan81

I have been thinking lately, since started getting soo frustrated with the way my life was going, and i have this picture of the way itshould be going.
Im 19, by default should be going out, getting drunk, parties, friends, parties, friends..right?
But because of my circumstances ive started to think maybe thats not what i need.
i have facebook which is just a breeding ground for "normal" teenagers. everyone on there uploads pictures, videos, of everything they're up to and nights out etc, over and over again. it was especially bad at new year and it got me so depressed. I know that is what most people my age are doing, and i thought for a moment well myabe im just not the one for going out and doing that stuff, maybe its just not me, but i know im just thinking that to make me feel better, because i hve gone out in the past and loved it. so im really sure it si me and i would love to be doing that stuff, but ijust cant.

getting to the point; i was wondering wether, even though thats really what i want and it doesnt seem that much to ask for as everyone i know is doing it, maybe its not what i NEED right now, despite it being what i want most. i have a couple of friends that are nice people, they arent into the clubbing every week thing or anything like that and ive thought i want more people like myself in my life that really wants to be doing the partying thing, which i dont seem to have,. but then i think well they are still nice people, and i wont be going out and getting drunk with them that i think i want to be doing with people, but they will be supporting me, so is what i want what i need as well? or perhaps i just need some support and love that i maybe wouldnt get from people to have a drink with? obvsly i would have both if i coudl, but the thing is my priority rght now is to get better and i dont know what or who i need, want, or if the two are seperate things.

thoughts?

SickerJoke

You have some great, supportive friends. That's awesome, keep them. But you want to go out and party and they don't. That's okay too. You can make new friends and still keep your old ones, or you could convince your current friends to go to out and party with you. Or you could make partying a long term goal, and focus on improving yourself for the time being.

Kamen

It is possible that you want to try to be with another kind of people out of desire to see more, but if your personality is not in agreement with this, it's not what you need. Or maybe vice versa. It's your task to find out. However, from what I read, I think you know it and you are probably more extrovert. I think SA can be more debilitating for extroverts than introverts because it has greater interference with their lifestyle.

And finally...
You often need other things to get what you want.

xtina_fan81

^ i agree with you, i mean because i mean i didnt always have SAn up until about 12 i was outgoing one of teh loudest in my grp of friends, and had such a good childhood. now i am where i am and becasue i feel like the real me is almost the complete opposite of how SA makes me, it depresses me much more than it would if i was just a naturally quiet person.
I keep trying to tell myself that maybe i dont want to be going out and doing all these normal teenage things but i cant keep denying it and im jst telling myself that to try n make me feel better. But i know deep down that is what i want to be doing and I am 99.9% sure i would be if SA had never taken over my life..