Is therapy worth it?

IamThisOne

I just started going to therapy. However, I have not actually talked to one yet. My first appointment was just an assessment, we discussed financial issues and did paperwork stuff. I also answered a bunch of questions which resulted in my diagnosis. Today was my second appointment, I met with a nurse who went over the same questions again and took my blood pressure and stuff (complete waste of time). My next appointment isn't until October, where I will meet with a doctor and see if I need medication. Only after that can I talk with an actual therapist.

This whole process is taking way too long in my opinion. I mean is therapy really worth it because I am having second thoughts. My schedule is really tight with school and work, so I don't have much time. Should I stick with it and see how it goes or just forget the whole thing?

Anyway, if my depression gets too bad I can always shoot myself. HaHa. In the head. HAHAHA....

Well, first of all.. don't shoot yourself, shooting yourself is bad, m'kay.

But in all seriousness.. It really comes down to how badly you need the therapy. If you need it quite badly, then I'd say yes, just make the necessary arrangements and go for it. :3

Even though therapy is hard sometimes, it's definitely worth the effort. For me personally at least, I cannot judge for others.

IamThisOne

In response to the reply by "guessed": I'm not sure. The way they seem to have it worked out is I see an actual medical doctor or nurse practitioner, they decide if I need to be on medication or just talk to one of their therapists. If I get put on medication, I will have to see a therapist at least once a month.

Whether they are psychologists or psychiatrists is out of my knowledge.

Psychiatrists usually just ask your symptoms and then give you medication.

A psychologist will help you explore your emotions and help you work through any personal issues you want to address. They don't give medication.

staticreflex

This whole process is taking way too long in my opinion. I mean is therapy really worth it because I am having second thoughts. My schedule is really tight with school and work, so I don't have much time. Should I stick with it and see how it goes or just forget the whole thing?

Lol, its funny to read this.

Therapy, especially for people who are used to finding excuses to avoid things, is easy to target as unnecessary and not worth it. This is because subconsciously the idea of taking a positive step in ones life can be very scary and you will find all kinds of reasons not to go. The first few times I went, it was hard and it really wasn't until a few months that I actually started looking forward to it. Trust me, just ignore all those excuses because it is well worth it in the end. My advice is no matter how much you don't want to go, to tough it out the first few times because it gets a lot better and is very helpful.

IamThisOne

Psychiatrists usually just ask your symptoms and then give you medication.

A psychologist will help you explore your emotions and help you work through any personal issues you want to address. They don't give medication.

Oh, okay. I will most likely talk with a psychologist. They must have it set up kind of weird because I can't talk with one until I see the doctor. I will then see both, the doctor for medication purposes and the psychologist for just talking, I guess. The lady that did my assessment also suggested group therapy, but I can't they only meet on Wednesdays and I have school. I could have signed up for this Wednesday's group, but I was REALLY nervous talking to the secretary and kind of mad that I have to wait so long, so I didn't set up an appointment.

I hope this makes sense. This whole process makes me wonder if it is relevant. I mean, I tend to think of myself as inferior to others and not worthy of help. Like, why do I need it, who cares if I suffer?

IamThisOne

Lol, its funny to read this.

Therapy, especially for people who are used to finding excuses to avoid things, is easy to target as unnecessary and not worth it. This is because subconsciously the idea of taking a positive step in ones life can be very scary and you will find all kinds of reasons not to go. The first few times I went, it was hard and it really wasn't until a few months that I actually started looking forward to it. Trust me, just ignore all those excuses because it is well worth it in the end. My advice is no matter how much you don't want to go, to tough it out the first few times because it gets a lot better and is very helpful.

I was hoping for some encouragement, I need that, because I actually do want to go and talk to someone. I just want to have someone listen to me for once. You know, kind of like a friend. I just hate all this waiting and what I call "paperwork stuff" that you have to go through beforehand. Also, I get kind of sad because my damn schedule is so tight. All I keep thinking is "what's the point?". Thanks, I think I'm going to just be patient and stick with it.

Yea, I understand what you're saying. I've been through the process a few times myself. It's one of those necessary evils. You have to jump through all the hoops before you get to see someone who can help you.

another thing to keep in mind is not to get discouraged if you don't really click with your therapist. sometimes it takes awhile to find a good fit.

staticreflex

I hope this makes sense. This whole process makes me wonder if it is relevant. I mean, I tend to think of myself as inferior to others and not worthy of help. Like, why do I need it, who cares if I suffer?

Yeah it makes sense, i've felt the same way.

If you don't believe you are worthy of help, then you just have to have faith that you are, and honestly the idea that you are worthy of help may take some getting used too especially if your self-esteem has fallen very low.