Is shyness "pride in disguise" ?

lunarskye

I somewhat agree. I think when i was younger i had the idea that i am not going to interact with other people because I don't need to and if they want to talk to me then they can. I guess that's pride. Now I realize i was just to insecure and akward to do it.

moodygoo

Gone said:

lol simply put
I can see the link, it's easier to hurt our pride so maybe we have more? Or do you mean something else.
But generally I think shy people think quite lowly of themselves.. its just paranoia and anxiety, and thinking 'I don't want to join in because I don't need them' is more of an excuse to make yourself feel better.

This_face

If I understand you I agree it could be. I am often shy because I don't want to say something I will regret or say the wrong thing. I am using it as a way to defend myself, and yet it "backfires" by not allowing people to know me or hear what I think. Mostly I am shy by:
1. nature, as in, I am not a wild and talkative person unless it is the rare time with my family or close friends
2. Lack of confidence
3. Fear of doing the wrong thing or being disliked
4. Habit
5. A method to prevent hurt or prevent the wrong image of myself
I think number five on my list is connected to what you are saying. However, by far am I shy because I think I am too good for people or not in need of people. I may tell myself I don't wish to take part in a conversation or tell myself I shouldn't talk at certain points to avoid the situation, but that is all an escape from the problem I have.

This_face

moodygoo said:
Gone said:

lol simply put
I can see the link, it's easier to hurt our pride so maybe we have more? Or do you mean something else.
But generally I think shy people think quite lowly of themselves.. its just paranoia and anxiety, and thinking 'I don't want to join in because I don't need them' is more of an excuse to make yourself feel better.
I agree! This is partly what I was trying to say in my above post.

mike001

I gone through phases where I tried to convince myself that I was superior to normal people, because I'm smarter and tougher - like the "strong silent type" or something. Those efforts weren't very successful though, because while I have some book smarts, I'm not particularly witty or strong.

But I think overconfident, arrogant and aloof people are a completely different type from shy people. There is very little overlap. Arrogant aloof people just say whatever they want and aren't particularly concerned about being judged negatively. They don't talk to people because they judge most of them to be inferior and not worth their time. Shy people on the other hand are obsessed with being judged negatively. Their quietness results more from anxiety and insecurity.

Argamemnon

cobalt_bluester said:
I can see how it could be interpreted that way, but I think shyness runs much deeper than pride.
I wonder why some shy people (like me) can't express their true emotions, and be themselves around other people.

I always think that people will judge or hate me, if I'm myself. Perhaps it's not to do with pride, but rather self-hatred.