is shyness part of agoraphobia/social anxiety

BC-chick

Banned
i dont have agoraphobia...at least i dont think.. BUT i have a friend who is and he/she says their not shy but they are agoraphobic AND has SA so how can you not also be shy if you have those 2?

Feathers

I think there's a continuum - some people are mildly shy, some more so, some extremely... and then agoraphobia and SA would probably be at the extreme end?
(People can also experience shyness or SA in specific situations...?)

Otherwise, maybe this friend can explain it better, what s/he meant?

powerfulthoughts

I think there's a continuum - some people are mildly shy, some more so, some extremely... and then agoraphobia and SA would probably be at the extreme end?
(People can also experience shyness or SA in specific situations...?)

Otherwise, maybe this friend can explain it better, what s/he meant?

imo, social anxiety and agoraphobia are not really the same thing as being shy. Shy people can function, they are just slow to get comfortable. People with SA don't ever really seem to adjust the way a shy person can.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm not shy-- but I do have social anxiety and am agoraphobic.
haha

I think it just has to do with personality-- since shyness is more a personality trait and not necessarily linked to social anxiety.

I developed social anxiety as a child from being bullied and having zero self esteem.
In highschool, I developed agoraphobia from being brutally assaulted. That was the last bit of trust I had for humanity- out the window.
I've never been shy, I do what I need to do but I'm extremely uncomfortable all the time and panic whenever I'm near people because of my fear of being hurt physically.

Last edited: