Is it normal to not have sex for over 10 years?

QuantumStates

Because of either a social anxiety disorder or avoidant personality disorder, I have not been able to have sex in over 10 years. I have had countless opportunities and passed them all up. I am 34 now and feel time is running out. Is this a common thing among people with the disorder?

upndwn

No, I don't think it is unormal, just something people don't talk about much. I went 8 years without having sex, despite not being a virgin. My SA was only part of the problem however, as my meds made me totally uninterested in sex and semi-impotent. I still don't have a very active sex life, but at least I manage to get laid a couple of times each year ::p:

Yes,I suppose it normal for those of us who have this disorder(s).I tend to look at it now as only being three years since I was absolutely distressed and convinced that I will never have sex again.
It's a lot easier that way.

vexatiousmind

Well if meds and a mental disorder are the reasons for not having sex, I would say that is not normal, but it is a reasonable excuse.

I wouldn't focus so much on the time. If you find someone that you want to be intimate with then great. Sometimes it takes people longer to find that someone. Unless you are someone that will do it with anyone, but that would not be considered normal to me either. :p

coyote

what's normal for one person may not be normal for someone else

i personally tend to suffer terrible distress if I forego sex longer than a week or so

A86

"normal" what the hell is normal. I think its nothing more than common opinion of a group.

People cannot have opinions about things that are not known. It appears to me that this sort of thing is more common than you'd think, it just doesnt get talked about, thus giving the perception of being less "normal".

If it makes you fell any better. Im 30 and still a virgin. The exact same thoughts float around in my noggin too. A sense of feeling on missing something that should be taken advantage of while young and healthy. So it could be worse.

thomas90

There is nothing wrong with not having sex for a long period of time, maybe your looking for the one?

SM1010

If you're passing up sex, despite wanting it, I'd say that's probably not normal.

If you're passing up sex because you have no desire to, then I'd say theres nothing wrong with that at all.

Agent_Violet

there is no norm when it comes to sex.

i personally resent the implications of the mainstream "norm" being most females don't need sex regularly...i need it daily thankyouverymuch!

so...again...when it comes to sex and frequency,there is no norm.

don't stress about what bs society thinks about your sex life and how much or how little you should be having and how often. you do what feels right for you.

Yeah I agree with most of the comments above. Everyone is different, and what may not be normal for others, may be OK for you, and that's all that matters. So I guess it comes down to what you desire, and if you feel your SA is holding you back.

For me, I don't really look at the time in between having sex, or even relationships. I just make other things in my life a priority. If and when I get into a relationship, then I know sex will probably be part of it. To me that's normal, even if it was 10 years from now until I was in another relationship and had sex.