is hypochondria part of OCD?

So, I'm curious if anyone knows. If you're a hypochondriac, is that a form of OCD? I'm curious because I'm trying to find ways to help myself get over this and maybe if it's an OCD issue that would help understand the problem a bit better. I had a panic attack where I thought I was dying, it lasted about 6 hours. Ever since I have been on and off with a great amount of anxiety and focusing on every little thing / sensation with my body. Hell, I even went to the E.R. at like 2am one time because I was feelin my nut and felt my epididymis and thought it was a cancerous lump.

I've managed to put my panic attacks under control but now I have incredible anxiety about having some debilitating ailment. A while ago it was a brain tumor, now it's my heart

At any rate, any information would be helpful.

Dudley

I can't say for sure if it's a form of OCD, but I'm something of a mild hypochondriac.

One day I woke up with a feeling similar to being kicked in the groin. I have no idea how it happened, but I was completely terrified. It went away quick enough though.

My guess is if these thoughts are really intrusive, or if you do something that you know to be illogical to "fix" the problem, then a form OCD might not be out of the question.

LadyWench

I think that it definitely is a form of OCD. It just depends on the person and the severity of it. I've got both OCD and hypochondria, and they go hand-in-hand. But it may not be like that for everyone.

My reasoning for this is simple:

I become worried and obsessed with having some sort of health condition. Whether it be something minor, or I think I have some serious disease and I'm going to die. The smallest symptom will set it off and I will go into panic mode instantly.

I dwell on the "symptoms" I think I have, and just basically obsess over them. I can't focus on anything else until the symptoms disappear. I will compulsively check my body for sores, lumps, rashes, tumors, etc. And Google is probably my worst enemy when it comes to health concerns.

I seek reassurance from family, friends and doctors all the time. It's like I HAVE to be told over and over again that I'm physically/medically okay. It never works, though. The only reassurance that DOES work, is when the symptoms no longer exist, like I mentioned above.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little. Sorry it's so long.

shybhoy

without doubt yes......thoughts pre occupie your mind its a sure damn obsession its causes distress so its a disorder...hell yeh !!

getbornagain

OCD can be comorbid with other disorders. OCD + ADD are very common, OCD + hypochondria are very common, OCD + anything can happen. It's all part of a pyramid of spectrum disorders related to chemical imbalance in the brain. I call it the pyramid of shit.

OMG, I might have OCD :eek:

Actually, I'm not a hypochondriac now, but when I was younger I used to obsess over things. This was before I was diagnosed with depression and SP, and I guess maybe I always knew there was something wrong with me, and I was trying to figure out what so that I could perhaps justify my behavior (anxiety and frequent absences from school, among other things). I knew that I was exaggerating the "symptoms," and that what I was thinking was wrong was most likely not it, so I never voiced any of these fears/ideas to anyone. Sometimes I still find myself getting obsessed about a potential problem, but not to any significant degree that gets in the way of normal functioning, or that I can't easily recognize as being irrational.