Is Facebook Making Us Lonely

1BlackSheep

if looking at pictures of smiling, happy people makes us feel bad,

it probably isn't Facebook making us feel that way.

perhaps it has something to do with us?
Comments like this are why I don't post on here much anymore. I thought this site was supposed to be about providing support, not condemnation...

MrJones

Comments like this are why I don't post on here much anymore. I thought this site was supposed to be about providing support, not condemnation...
I don't think that was his intention.

Sometimes I feel sad too when I see such things in Facebook, but it's not their fault. I have to see what I don't like about my own life and change it so I can be happy myself. Then I won't care about FB.

1BlackSheep

I don't think that was his intention.
I wish I could agree with you, but I honestly think the comment was intentionally rude. If it had been in the tone of your reply, which was more one of understanding and compassion, that would have made all the difference!

Sometimes I feel sad too when I see such things in Facebook, but it's not their fault. I have to see what I don't like about my own life and change it so I can be happy myself. Then I won't care about FB.
I never said that I was blaming the people who post such things. I'm genuinely happy that they have good things happening in their lives! All I said was that it makes me feel a bit disconnected because I don't have some of those things and wish I did. I don't think that means there's something "wrong" with me though - I'm human! You're right, it's up to me to make changes but as most of us know, it's often easier said than done. Life isn't always that simple! It helps to have people who understand how you feel and offer constructive, yet supportive advice, which unfortunately was lacking in the response.

Thanks for trying to smooth things over!

coyote

i'm sorry you thought i was condemning us

or intentionally being rude to us

i was merely suggesting another way for us to think

that we might find constructive

MikeyC

Facebook keeps us connected in ways we never had before.

In saying that, Facebook keeps us disconnected in ways we never had before.

When we can find out anything about a person via a few profile clicks, the desire to see them in person drops. Everything is updated instantly. We know everything without moving from our seat.

In a way, Facebook is great, but in other ways, it's not great.

AGR

When we can find out anything about a person via a few profile clicks, the desire to see them in person drops. Everything is updated instantly. We know everything without moving from our seat.

Yes I am waiting for the day when we have a cyberworld which is almost like real life,so I wouldnt have to interact in real life....:confused::D

Nathália

I am going to speak my heart and be honest, I'm not trying to say this in a rude way. If I care enough about someone I would want to see them in real life and spend time with them. Even if I am anxious, I would still yearn that feeling to contact them. They would not be just an interesting status update to me. I am just thinking and one could agree/disagree whatever. Are we taking away from relationships with social media? Just because find someone interesting online does not mean you want to be the best friend in the whole wide world with them, because I think a Facebook page is a black and white perspective of a persons personality and who they really are. They may post things that tickles other peoples fancy, but it's not in depth to anyone is, it's just a supposedly fun site. I am just trying to understand why one would lose interest after seeing a profile page? Is it because it's more convenient? Or....?

coyote

I am going to speak my heart and be honest, I'm not trying to say this in a rude way. If I care enough about someone I would want to see them in real life and spend time with them. Even if I am anxious, I would still yearn that feeling to contact them. They would not be just an interesting status update to me. I am just thinking and one could agree/disagree whatever. Are we taking away from relationships with social media? Just because find someone interesting online does not mean you want to be the best friend in the whole wide world with them, because I think a Facebook page is a black and white perspective of a persons personality and who they really are. They may post things that tickles other peoples fancy, but it's not in depth to anyone is, it's just a supposedly fun site. I am just trying to understand why one would lose interest after seeing a profile page? Is it because it's more convenient? Or....?

i agree. meeting people online - whether on Facebook or in a forum like this - only makes me want to meet them in real life even more

MikeyC

I do understand where you're coming from, and if I am friends with someone I will still want to see them in person, even if I follow their every move on Facebook. It was just one opinion I had, but it might not be correct.

i agree. meeting people online - whether on Facebook or in a forum like this - only makes me want to meet them in real life even more
I certainly want to meet just about everyone on this site, you included.