Is Constant/Excessive Daydreaming something to worry about?

csi226

Hello all,
I'm new here and wanted to get y'alls opinions on daydreaming. I'm a freshman in college right now,and I constantly find myself daydreaming, whether it be at home or in class. I've always been a big daydreamer, but isn't this a bit excessive? I also tend to daydream about things that most likely won't happen, or are not very realistic. ie: going to the same university as someone I like, etc. I know excessive daydreaming can be a form of escapism, but what should i do about this? I will admit, I did not have the best of childhoods, (I was/am very sheltered, and am just now getting out into the social world... still live with parents, so it's hard to get out) but is this something i should worry about? I mean sometimes, it takes such a long time just to do a 6 problem math worksheet just because i'm too busy daydreaming...I also have the hardest times focusing. I may be ADD, but never got tested, I don't like to rely on medication... anyways, what do y'all think?

Nack

Banned
I'm the same way, always day dreaming in class and whenever the teacher calls on me i can't even answer. Embarassing... Honestly, you really can't do anything about it, not that i know of anyway. But, i find myself day dreaming the most when im super hungry. So, i don't know...try to find something to eat if you find yourself day dreaming excessively.

Also i realize that day dreaming can make you very fatigue...at least in my experience. Too much talking in me head.

Anubis

I used to daydream a lot in my college days too. It would always be about fantasy situations though ... stuff that would have like 0% chance of happening. Like being a clutch football player, or being an unflappable secret agent, lol.

Nowadays, I still let my mind wander every once in a while, but not as much. In fact, I actively try to limit it because wishing for the clearly impossible just burns my emotional energy. Especially when there's a lot of amazing possible things I could actually be doing with that valuable energy.

Ehsan

i'm a professional daydreamer too.:)
in my case it's made of SP, a strong tendency to flaunt, a keen brain and some type of foolishness. if you have all of these traits you're ready to become a professional daydreamer too.
anyway it's extremely time wasting, exhausting, depressing,... .
excessive daydreaming and SP together help you to have an efficiency like a stone or even lower while it has some minor benefits too.

Jay Cataldo

Excessive daydreaming is nothing more than a bad habit which can be controlled with practice. Like Lexmark said, you are not your mind.

RedRibbons

Yea. You need to learn to pay attention to what's going on in the here and now, especially at school. It's good and fun to daydream, but there are times that need your concentration (like school work).

I daydream too and get sidetracked, but, it actually feels good to focus too, you absorb so much more when you actually do focus.. It feels like.. Your mind is clear.

thor01

I do it alot, also usualy fantasy situations. Its just part of me to do it, I dont really see it as a bad thing. It happens lots in college and also before i go to sleep, also at random times through the day at home, or anywhere else.
I kind of get what your saying Lexmark, Ive heard a similar point before in a different way, but what are you meaning we should identify with? And isnt daydreaming kind of like escaping from identifying with the mind in a way?

lyricalliaisons

I daydream 24/7, just about. I even have an entire alternate reality in my head. I don't consider it to be healthy, in my case, but I know I use it as a coping mechanism & couldn't survive without it at this time in my life.

Avarak

At night when I try to sleep I usually can't.

I don't know if I can't sleep because I'm daydreaming too much, or if I daydream because I can't sleep.

Why

i daydream alot as well.. and often when im studying as well, im very restless so its not very efficient, especially now.. during finals zzzzzzzzzzz