Is anyone off work due the Social Phobia

rainstreet

it does take a long time. you have to have someone supporting you in the meantime which isn't always feasible if you're an adult. there are many assistance programs which will help with utilities, etc... they are generally state funded. i've used every route available to survive these past several months. after you file for disability, the first response will be a denial. you just reapply. i would recommend using an attorney because they do a lot of the paperwork and act as mediators between you and SS.

It sounds trite, but the main thing is keep at it. the way I see it, I'll just be collecting my SS early.

Last edited:

rainstreet

Theres not much for us i don't think

Theres voluntary work i think you meet nicer people in these kind of jobs but still its a big leap and not one im comfortable with

I just don't see the point in me building up so much confidence, and all the anxiety and courage to get a job when in 6 months time i know i'll be back on benefits because i can't take it no more, its happened with school its happened with college and its happened in 2 previous jobs

The government promised to help people get back into work who were sick or disabled and help the people who need it but so far ive had nothing but help from my GP, both my counciller and shrink discharged me because i wasnt willing to take the next step (work)

I'll know when i'm ready and fit for work, i know myself and if im not 100% happy with myself, anxiety, depression, health then theres no way im being put through work

It frustrates me how theres not much help and they just expect you to go to work

I know all in all theres only me that can change myself but its just not happening

man, can I ever relate.

so many well meaning people in the mental health industry that just don't have a f---ing clue when it comes to the real world.

contrary to popular opinion, not everyone is able to maintain a job! I've had about 20 jobs in as many years. I got tired of getting laid off and fired because I couldn't follow directions, etc... After seeing a Psychologist and being tested, I discovered that it wasn't my fault and I wasn't an idiot.

the counselor and psych you saw are in the wrong line of work.

Last edited:

Jannah

Banned
Yea, unfortunately :( I would so rather be working right now though. But I am also dealing with heavy depression at the moment.

Orbital

A few years ago I started a job doing tech support at a call center. I started on day shift and hated it and felt like an outcast. A while later they moved me to an evening shift (3PM-12AM) and I was upset about that at first, but I ended up liking it a lot better. Since there was less people there on that shift it wasn't as crowded and more quiet and I could feel private in my half cubicle and not pressured to socialize. Also, since very social people usually avoid evening shifts like the plague, the people I worked with tended to be more geeky, quiet people that I had more in common with.

Bama_Heath

Yeah....I just got fired for being the outcast at my workplace. I tried my best to get along with everyone to the point of basically kissing everyone's @$$. About a month ago one of my co-workers got a little smart mouthed with me at the wrong time on the wrong day and I went off...so yeah....they fired me. I've never been as depressed as I am right now.

garry29

Yeah im pretty bad with my sa/depression, im barley able to leave the house or be around even fammily let alone work.I recieve disablity allowance because of this, and i was on income support. But the benefits agency use every oppertunity to get you off income support and back on to job seekers allowance, meaning you have to look for work or you lose your entitlement to the benefits :( (which is what has happend to me)

This nearly happened to me. But I was able to increase my work hours and I can now claim DLA and working tax credits which is the same as I was getting with Job seekers.

market.garden

I've been out of work for nearly a year and a half, partly from a lack of jobs available but I've turned down 2 jobs and another promising interview that were offered to me because I freaked out at the last minute. I think I'm gonna force myself to take the next one as I really need to move out.

garry29

I've been out of work for nearly a year and a half, partly from a lack of jobs available but I've turned down 2 jobs and another promising interview that were offered to me because I freaked out at the last minute. I think I'm gonna force myself to take the next one as I really need to move out.

Is this why you want to move to London. Better job opportunities there?

NinjaLikesToast

I am not so sure you can even get time off for that here in the US. As most people know, this country is obsessed with working so most people are over-worked and very stressed out. No time to sit at home being scared of people! lol

garry29

I am not so sure you can even get time off for that here in the US. As most people know, this country is obsessed with working so most people are over-worked and very stressed out. No time to sit at home being scared of people! lol

The UK's meant to be like that as well. At least compared to the rest of Europe. I think the Japanese come of worst in terms of being overworked ::p:

NinjaLikesToast

The most recent stats suggest that an average amount of hours for a middle class worker in the states is 48 hours per week.
Sorry I sort of got this off subject, just saying.. It's hard to get time off, paid, for anything here. Also at the same time, we have one of the lowest averages of western countries for vacation/holiday time. Average in the US is 8 days a year.. Average in France is 18 days.

Back to the subject :)

No, I am not off work for any of my phobias. I have never been able to admit to other people I have these problems, so that might be the main reason why. I just try to grin and bear it.

anomicdeer

I think SA is probably ONE reason why I don't have one (ive never had a job). If I went out and if I knew a lot of people, I think that would be a higher chance to finding a job. I was never even called for an interview at the places I applied. Either some place is too far or I can't get there. Or they just werent hiring.

market.garden

Is this why you want to move to London. Better job opportunities there?

I wanna move to London mainly because I'm bored of my hometown and feel suffocated at home with parents. Most of the jobs I've been applying for are in London anyway, so moving there takes out the hassle of commuting.

I think also it'd be good for SA reasons. A few of us are looking to move into a house together, so more opportunities to go out and force myself to confront social situations.

Marletta

I have been let go because of SP from many jobs. Right now I can't find work because of the economy. It's a mixed blessing because it gives me an opportunity to work on my SP hopefully, become functional again.
As to your question about disability. My mother-in-law is getting disability for being bi-polar. She can barely function in society. She has a doctor's diagnosis for this. So, you need to get some sort of medical statement saying that you cannot work because of a mental defect. Then, you can get some money. It won't be enough to support yourself. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't want the stigma of it. This is why I never persued it.

lyricalliaisons

It's the reason I've never had a job in my life. But my old therapist, & now my new one, have been trying to help me get SSI. My new therapist just called Thursday or Friday & said I was just assigned to a lady at my mental health place who helps people apply (I'm too afraid to go through the process alone, or I would have done it already) & she should be calling soon to set up an appointment. I've already been told that I will be denied the first time, because everyone is, but then I'll have to get an attorney & apply again. I'm not looking forward to the attorney part, but I'm hoping there will be other options available by the time that time comes.