Iontophoresis hurts!

Loligagging

Hello im a 17 year old with palmer hyperhidrosis and I made an iontophoresis machine based on this video Re: Cure Sweaty Hands, Palms, Hyperhidrosis, Hyperhydrosis - YouTube

But I HATE that electric jolt you get when your hands enter and leave the water! It's keeping me away from sticking to the program. It's not THAT painful but I get so scared anticipating it. The itchyness you get while your hands are completely submerged is fine though.

2 days ago I tried a way to not get that electric jolt by first placing both hands into the water. Then I used my toes to put the wires inside the pan (because there's no way im going to be able to clip it onto the pan with my toes). But I still got that electric jolt!

Then yesterday, I had the machine all set up, but I got too scared of that electric jolt that I didn't do it. I just stared at it for a long time trying to get my hands towards the water but I just couldn't do it! I ended up putting my machine back in my drawer :(

So my question is, is there a way to not get that electric jolt? I heard slowly placing your hands in there starting with your index finger helps? Or is that electric jolt necessary for the treatment?

Last edited:

hyp-hi

That's the problem with the homemade machine is that there is no knob to control the intensity. I would look into getting a commercial ionto device. This way you start at 0 intensity and increase it slowly as much or as little as you want. They are expensive, but if it works, it's worth it.

Sprawling

Maybe you can pick up something at an electronic store like Radio Shack. Tell them what you are doing and see what can be used to adjust the current. Ionto is definitely an avenue worth pursuing.

ysh

My recommendation is to buy a machine, a commercial unit gradually increase the current after you put your hands in the current and when the treatment time is reached the current is decreased again. I have a Hidrex and it also got some built in electric fence protection circuit. I can remove the hands during treatment without getting a discomfortable shock.

Sprawling

As I stated in prior postings, a modified Drionic that uses 2 independent trays is a great option for those who do not have the funds for a good commercial unit. It's a huge step above the homemade, eliminating the sudden shock. One can often pick up a used Drionic cheap on Ebay.

It's just great to have options. If you have the money, purchase a commercial unit. I was lucky that I found a Fischer on Ebay at a very reasonable price and have been using it for 6 years. If it was to break tomorrow, I'd use my modified Drionic that I have in storage.

georgek

I built iontophoresis unit according to the youtube manual, but it works bad. So I decided to invest money for commercial machine Electro Antiperspirant and it works perfect. My palms is really really dry now. I use one procedure per three, four weeks only. It is powered by 4AA batteries only and max. power is 30mA. I usually use 20mA absolutely without any pain. In compare with my homemade device I feel nothing:) I bought it here, they deliver all around the world in three days according the website, but rather check it;-) Iontophoresis Electro Antiperspirant

IMG1072.jpg

IMG1074.jpg

Insanewoman389

Uh I'm not trying to be mean but seriously, electrocuting your hands so they don't sweat? Is that what its doing? And does it actually work?!

SweatSweatGoAway

Hi, I know what you're experiencing. After reading several YouTube comments, here's how I solved it:

Use your knuckles to absorb the shock, then slowly turn your hands over, but make sure to keep both hands touching the water. Don't be afraid to touch the pans while turning your hands over.

lepoo7

I have found great success with the the homemade version (i couldn't afford the brand ones) About a year and a half ago, I started the homemade treatment. I did 30 minutes each day for a week, it actually seemed like my hands were getting worse. I then started doing it 2 time a week after that. I saw results in 2 weeks, but i started to sweat in my chest and armpits a lot more then i normally did. I quit using it for a few weeks, after that and my hands started sweating again, about the same amount as it use to. Since then i have been using my homemade device about once a week for an hour (after 30 minutes i switch the the end pieces) and i apply "certain dri" on my hands every night before i go to bed. My hands do sweat on occasion, but not nearly as bad as they use to. I hope this helps others.

Sprawling

Lepoo7 --- That's great that the homemade device works for you. CERTAIN DRY is awesome stuff and cheap. ODABAN, DRICLOR and DRYSOL are a bit stronger and can be ordered online without a prescription.

Welcome to our group and thanks for sharing