In a Relationship?

sanitariumcalls

I suppose I seem "normal" in some ways... I'm a full time student at our local CC, and trying to get into a wonderful Catholic University. I've lived on my own since I was 17, now in my own home (rented, unfortunately) with my partner of 3 years and our two beautiful, loving cats.

The only thing that makes me feel like an oddball (aside from being in my head 24/7) is that I tend to hide my issues from him. He knows what I deal with, but I am not open to him about a lot of it simply so that I do not burden him with problems not his own. Its not that we have communication issues, because we're well spoken to each other constantly, but I have issues making myself vulnerable to even my closest loved ones for fear that they will tell me its my imagination and I should get out more (it happens a lot... ).

Do any of you have that too? Does your boyfriend/partner/spouse know or have the same issues that you do? How do you deal with it?

:confused:

theoneandonly

Don't be afraid to talk to your spouse about anything because it will ultimately make your relationship stronger.

I'm very lucky to have a beautiful girlfriend who understands that I have social anxiety (and excessive blushing), and she even tries to help me with it some times.

sanitariumcalls

I've been trying to be more open with him, but my habit to not burden others is a hard one to break...

But I'm trying :)

Waybuloo

If you feel that you cannot share with the one closest to you your most prevalent fears that affect your life to such an extent, then you must feel very frustrated and unfulfilled. I think it's important to share with him, putting aside your insecurities, because that shows that you trust him and that you think him important to know this about you. Of course that is not license to unburden yourself constantly, that'll put a strain on him and the relationship, but let him know, and when the feeling inside becomes unbearable it can be good to have a cuddle or even a cry.

I think you thinking that he'll tell you off for it already prepared yourself to expect 'the worst', so if you do tell him, and he says that, then you have nothing to lose in a way. He could also tell you otherwise and surprise you :)