Imposter Syndrome/Past Mistakes

lilmutegirl

I haven't been on here for some time, because I have actually felt a lot better over the past few years. Somehow, my baseline anxiety has almost disappeared (I used to be anxious all the time, regardless of what was happening-I could even be alone in a room and would either ruminate on things that have happened or worry about things that could happen, but I don't do that as much anymore). I am more comfortable in several situations where I once would have freaked out, though if I am caught off guard with a question, I become anxious.

So, here's my current issue: in my job, I have been tasked with gathering statistics and reporting them out. This literally consists of totaling columns from an Excel spreadsheet, so it should be easy, right? Well, when I first did it, I used the wrong spreadsheets. A person who did this before me talked to me about it, and I got everything corrected. Some people asked questions about the numbers, and I explained what happened and how to calculate the numbers. I have offered to show people how to do this, but nobody has really seemed interested. There are 2 other people who have done this in the past, so they know.

Cut to today: we have a new hire who brought some questions to me about some of the numbers. Turns out, someone else (the person referenced above who helped me) had calculated them, and I guess it got sorted out while I was on vacation, because this was brought to my attention right before I left for vacation. Today, I got an email from the new hire, wanting to meet, because she has more questions. We will meet tomorrow. I am concerned that there are more discrepancies, which I somehow didn't catch, though I have saved copies of the spreadsheets, and somewhat obsessively check to make sure numbers match, so it seems unlikely, but I am worried nonetheless. Especially since I have legitimately made mistakes on this in the past, it's not a completely unfounded fear.

Frankly, I feel somewhat incompetent in my job, and almost like I am worthless, since I often feel the need to double-check everything. I am in management, and many people (staff and other managers) have complimented a variety of my skills, but imposter syndrome is hitting really hard.

SoScared

Hi, so pleased to hear that your doing good most of the time. Doubt will show it's ugly face every now and again but I suspect that you have the resilience to cope.