if we were all together

alex29

do you think you would be more comfortable if you were with a few people who also had social anxiety? or would you still feel anxious?

i think i would feel more comfortable since we would all have that in common

blackcap

I think even amongst us there will be those who are more extroverted than others, so some will feel comfortable and others (like me, probably) would still feel anxious. Though at least knowing that others understand would help I think.

I've met up with groups of social anxiety people twice. Very uncomfortable, and I felt completely out of place, unable to relate to them (though they were good experiences anyway just to have tried and found out what it's like, and I'll do it again someday). It helped me realize that I'm as alien to people with SA as I am to anyone else (or nearly so -- no idea how horrible a similar meeting with non-SA people might be).

There are dozens of different sorts of social anxiety which are really quite different, so you wouldn't even necessarily find much to relate to there.

lyricalliaisons

I would possibly feel more comfortable.. But it would really depend... Even amongst those with SA, the who have it less severely can be very judgmental against those who have it more severely (& vise versa). So, with me, because I have it severely, I would just worry about what those who have it more mildly would think/say about me & how they would treat me.

Ubersonic

I think I would be my same old quiet self. It would be interesting to see how other people deal with it first hand. I don't know anybody in RL that has it.

ls1raider

I feel like it would be a really good experience for me. Sometimes after reading stories or comments from this forum, makes me feel like having a friend or conversation w/ someone with the same experiences would be a really good encounter. I'd like to share my life experiences in person w/ similar people.

Dave_McFadden

It would be interesting to see how quickly everyone scatters when the DJ plays the beginnings of a slow dance. It would also be interesting to see who has the nerve to ask someone else to dance if that happens.

faithnomore

Banned
I'd feel more uncomfortable around people with the same problems.

I dont even feel very comfortable posting on these forums!