I went out (kind of)

aj

Basically someone I used to know at work put me in touch with a guy who invited me to spend some time with him and three other mates on Friday. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I did. I was going to go into town with them but it got too late for me.

I last went round to someone's place like that when I was 12 or younger, and I seem to have missed nothing... nothing's changed, well apart from the booze and drinking games. They still play computer games, except it was an Xbox rather than an N64.

It was quite funny when I first walked in actually - I saw the pile of shoes in the kitchen and thought, 'oh my god! I'm 12 again!'

All the old feelings came back. The guys were nice enough. I did kind of join in but I still felt out of place, like a fly on the wall. I dunno... I just don't click into it, I don't enjoy it. I never used to and maybe that's where it all went wrong. When I got out of it all those years ago I felt great that I didn't have to do it, but slowly over time I forgot what it was like and missed having friends more and more.

Don't know what to do now really, I don't really want to have to do that again. I know you have to get used to things but that wasn't the problem. I really think I'm just not made for having mates and being a lad. It felt awesome that I did something on Friday night but the thing itself was what I didn't 'get'.

klytus

That's great. :)

nothing's changed, well apart from the booze and drinking games.
Eheh, sounds like it just got worse.

Don't know what to do now really, I don't really want to have to do that again. I know you have to get used to things but that wasn't the problem. I really think I'm just not made for having mates and being a lad. It felt awesome that I did something on Friday night but the thing itself was what I didn't 'get'.
There is not much sense in doing stuff you don't enjoy. Even if you think that those activities ought to be part of a normal human life, they just aren't if you have to deviate from your individuality to do them. Do stuff you enjoy, together with people who share your interests. That's the way to go.

seafolly

I'm not a drinker, never have been, so that instantly sets me apart in most social situations. If you're in a crowded room full of people enjoying what you're merely tolerating it can definitely be lonely. That's fantastic that you pushed your limits and had an open mind. Don't give up though. It's just a matter of finding people who love doing what you do and the social life will return.