I wanna move. But i'm too afraid

Rodney

I want the samething as you, to move somewhere no one knows me XD.

Anyways I think you should go for it. As for being uncomfortable with the roomate, if it doesn't work out you can always move and try another apartment but you'll never know until you try. :)

danstelter

Great work on beginning to think about how you can get better! Going out on your own and becoming more independent is a great way to work through anxiety! As for your sister, let of your anger towards her. She can make her own choices.

As for you, it is possible to live on your own if you work a job and have a studio or one bedroom apartment, unless of course the only jobs you can get are really crummy ones. If they are, then begin to work your way towards independence. Work a crummy job now so that you can save up some money, get a better job, and eventually move out. Or, go to college and get the skills you need to get the job you think will make you happy. The choice is yours.

It is not necessary to move to another state-you could move an hour or two away, which is enough to keep your family from visiting you too often, but they are close enough to help you in time of emergency. You can do it, and this is scary for anyone, but figure out a plan that works for you and go with it.

Just be sure to create a goal, in this case independence, and figure out a way to get to it, because a way always exists. Good luck and be sure to ask if you have questions.

Last edited:

aboobooboobooo

I moved to Colorado on my 20th b-day from Texas for the same reasons. It's helped my SA a bit but not as much as I thought. It's very hard to leave family and it becomes more difficult when you don't have any friends in an unfamiliar place and you don't have family to fall back on. That's what I miss the most.

Rxqueen

I know exactly how you feel I live at home with my parents right now and I want to move away so badly. The only problem is I have no money and absolutely no resources since my parents are basically as broke as I am. I'd say save up now and pick a place that's far enough to start up your own life but close enough to go back when you need to. Also, and this could be too much of a compromise, maybe save up to go on a vacation on your own somewhere just to get away from everyone. Maybe go to some state you wanna live in just to test it out and figure out what you really wanna do. But I think living on your own is a really good idea because it will give you independence and force you to have to deal with people on your own. It might be hard but it'll definitely be worth it.

Rheves

I moved from michigan to oklahoma a couple years back. My sister was already living here, so i had someone to move in with. Now im on my own with a couple room mates. It is for sure a good way to get past the social anxiety. I now have many friends. Mostly work mates. I still love it way more than living with my mum. I do miss my mum though. Been away from family for 2 years now @_@/

MotherWolff

Banned

To mimi1988:

Motherwolff heard a line once from an old 90's cartoon(Recess::p:) that one of its characters said which went, "To get out of the box, I had to get INTO the box."

I suppose he meant that to eliminate your fear(s)/phobia(s) you must confront them, indefinitely instead of avoiding them. So I'm thinking you are on the right track in getting out of your situation. But Motherwolff believes that you could use a bit more of a push to get you started.

Motherwolff can say the same about herself. I am only a year younger than you and I am too frightened to leave my mother's abode to a life of my own. So I applied(with alot of my mom's help) for SSI(supplemental security income) to get me started on becoming independent. But I'm just waiting for my SSI to be transfered to my bank account(which is being shared with my mom::(:) as if I will become independent by some miracle. Deep down, Motherwolff knows that action is the key to independence.

I moved from michigan to oklahoma a couple years back. My sister was already living here, so i had someone to move in with. Now im on my own with a couple room mates. It is for sure a good way to get past the social anxiety. I now have many friends. Mostly work mates. I still love it way more than living with my mum. I do miss my mum though. Been away from family for 2 years now @_@/

Hi Rheves:

Your current situation seems unusually similar to my own. I also live in Michigan(and I hate this place) and I have considered moving to Oklahoma, not to live with a sister of mine but with my oldest brother. But he doesn't live alone...he has a family. One son and a wife. But the issue here isn't the fact that he has a son; I care about my nephew. The real problem is his wife...>_> Motherwolff can go on and on about why she dislikes his wife. And because of that I feel that I cannot move in with him like how you moved in with your sister for a while. I would like to do something like what you have done; being able to live on your own like that. Dude, that's courageous.

NormanBates

I enjoyed living with a roommate in a strange town about as much as I enjoyed living with my mom. I don't like being poor so I ran back home to mommy. May as well enjoy it while I can.
I live in a smallish Texas town as well .. everybody wants to leave to bigger cities. Only depressed people are left

LostInLife

I moved to a different town and I was still just as much of a social phobe as I am now. It was ok for a time. The thought of not running into old high school friends and family was great for a while. But then I started a new job, becoming more anxious than ever. I just wanted to immediately go home and drown out my worry’s with Jack Daniels. 9 years later I moved back to my old town. Coming full circle. I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a more positive story. Life sucks sometimes.