I thought it was finally going away...

Harleyq

I feel so discouraged. I thought perhaps my social phobia was easing up but last night I started a new job and it came back full force.

I never would've taken the job (waiting tables) if I wasn't desperate - I really need money right now and this is the only job I can get that fits with my college schedule. It's with my old boss, at his new restaurant.

I feel like I have to be better than I think I'm capable of because I've worked under the same people before and so have my coworkers (though we didn't work together). They know about me, so I feel like if I f-ck up a lot, I'll alienate everyone and they'll think I'm stupid. I don't know if I can handle this job. I'm not a good people person and as you all probably know, fast-paced high stress situations are extremely difficult to handle with anxiety.

I think I've been anxious for so long that I've trained myself to ignore it - or maybe I get so anxious about everything else that I don't think about how I feel physically - because last night (first night on the job), one of the waiters told me to loosen up because I looked extremely tense...and I thought to myself "I don't THINK I'm that anxious." I actually thought I was doing well to look calm. So then I got extremely embarrassed.

I know it's the people-pleaser in me. I can't help it, I want others to like me. I'm terrified to death of being viewed negatively and I don't know how I'm going to avoid that with this new job.

Last night I didn't get to sleep til 2:00 am cause I was still nervous about my coworkers and future customers after my shift ended at 10:00 pm. I wanted to cry and I felt like I needed to vomit, which hasn't happened in a really long time.

Apple Strudel

Wow I can relate to you right now.

I just got back with my meds and tried it out while imagining of worse possible situation in my going-to-be new work place.

Sad to say, I have my palms sweating and i'm actually abit breathless (perhaps the meds have to take a while to work)

Anyways, I don't know whether to call it off since it is stressing me out a lot right now. I'm going to be a barista but I don't know how to handle it without the people looking at me perform.

Sorry to hijack your thread but letting you know that you are not the only one up and worrying.

But since it's your old boss, I'd guess there will much less to worry about since he knows how you do your own things.

B

Bar-AKA-Redzer

I think it was just the stress of a new job, u will ease back up once you get into the flow of things

Harleyq

Wow I can relate to you right now.

I just got back with my meds and tried it out while imagining of worse possible situation in my going-to-be new work place.

Sad to say, I have my palms sweating and i'm actually abit breathless (perhaps the meds have to take a while to work)

Anyways, I don't know whether to call it off since it is stressing me out a lot right now. I'm going to be a barista but I don't know how to handle it without the people looking at me perform.

Sorry to hijack your thread but letting you know that you are not the only one up and worrying.

But since it's your old boss, I'd guess there will much less to worry about since he knows how you do your own things.

No problem. I prefer reading other people's stories because I can relate.

The fact that it's my old boss makes me more worried because if I were a new girl, I think I could get away with making more mistakes but this way, I feel like I already have a high level of expectations to meet.