I sing but i have social phobia someone help please??

Mossburn

I sing, and i have dreams of gettin big with this music, but i'am to afraid to sing in front of people.

It can be anyone even family, i dont even go to the studio, cause i 'am to afraid to sing in front of the producer.

I used to go to the studio before, a long time ago and when i would get in the booth, i would start havin a panic attack.

Heart start beatinfast, shakyness, shortness of breath, the whole 9, and the samething would happen if someone would tell me to sing for them.

I'am truly serious about this music, i just feel that my phobia or whatever it is , is holdin me back.

So is there anything that can help me like meds or somethingi dont really know about the thearapy but mybe.

thankYou

Remus

Staff member
I was in a band and had thios problem, I ended up quitting, I have since started going to kareoke and it has boosted my confidence copnsiderably :)

I think getting better has to do with challenging ourselves to the point you can cope with, maybe try that and get used to singing again, kareoke afterall is only 5 minutes compared to a gig which is about half an hour

Diluted_Acid

I drummed in a band, and was going to do some gigs, but my lack of confidence made me give up drums, and my bandmates pushyness and misunderstandings put me off it. Today before speeches i take this product called rescue remedy, definitly rids my nerves for a while durin an uncomfortable situation, but you could try therapies . . . . . but they can be real lengthy and forever, just to get where you want. I personally don't support the use of medications though.

applesewer

I make music but I've always been scared of things like playing live or working with other's, so I've ended up building my own mini studio in my bedroom and I've learnt to play all the instruments myself. Then I use the internet to upload all of my music and art. I find that I don't get overly anxious when I show people my songs because I know they're the finished product and I've fine tuned all the vocals etc so it sounds ok. I'd still like to play live someday and I've recently joined a band so that might happen soon, but the point I'd like to make is that there's still a lot you can do by yourself. you could build your own studio and record privately.

Also, I think stagefright is something most people feel, and not just us...although we might get it worse. When I'm in performance situations I find that the more I've rehearsed the less anxious I feel so maybe practising beforehand might help.

I'd love to hear some of your music...is there anywhere on the web where I could have a listen?

captain

I have been in choirs for ages (at the back of course!) and I find that it is easier to sing alone once I have gone over a song with somebody that I know well enough to sing with, but not too well so that I'm embarassed. It's a tough balance to find, but it helps a lot. I have used that method loads of times, but I tried to go without once for a song I was going to preform for a state contest. I had it ("Whither Must I Wander?") nailed until I went to preform for the judge. I got the first verse over with and looked around the room where people were allowed to come in and listen then I got lost, missed my highest note by about half a step, finshed while shaking and then cried. Right in front of everyone. I still got a great score though!!!

aliasgirl

hey, why don't you start your own myspace website. I have heard that it's seems to be the thing to do if you want to kickstart your own music career. I think several singers and bands have done it. It's a worth a try anyway. Once you have done this and get some positive feedback, it might give you the confidence to get out there. :)