I screwed up big time...

eso

For an entire week I've been unable to do anything because I've been afraid of what I did to a dear friend of mine, and it all stems from my past of being shy and not having any self-esteem.

I'm not sure how many of you have this or noticed this about us shy people, but we are so inwardly focused to the point that a lot of the times we can't see how we are treating others. I spent my entire childhood and teen years inside, hiding from people. I was bullied and etc, plus I was severely shy. So I grew up thinking that if I just supplicate to others, I wouldn't be judged and people would leave me alone. I'm always on the defensive, always trying to "explain myself" if I'm in a situation so that others won't hate or judge me harshly. It's a reflex reaction, so far ingrained into my soul that even now I still do it a lot. Another thing people with low self-esteem to is a need for validation to a fault. We need to know if what we did is ok or good because we are so concerned with how people or society judges us.

The problem is that kind of acting makes people judge you even harsher. People will call you a wuss, too negative, or too self-conscious or any number of things. And really, it's true. We have gotten ourselves believing if we just act in a certain way... and it's based *entirely* on fear... that we will be safe. But it instead makes the world react to us in an even more negative fashion, making this one of those vicious circles we know so much about.

Breaking out of shyness is so much more than talking to people, it's also learning how to BE with people. I learned that the hard way over the past few years. I read lots of books on how to do this, such as mingling advice and Dr. Phil relationship advice and etc. But it was all theory. You know, make sure you tell your friends or lover how much you care about them, or ask them how they are doing or whatever. Be aware of their feelings so you can respond in kind, that sort of thing. However, being male I have a lot of male "buddies" that don't really care if I say or do anything like this. We just hang out, watch tv, play games and whatnot. Every now and then we say to each other how cool it is that we are friends and if any problems arise we can just work past them because it's not a big deal.

For a while I only had one person that I'm very close to and that is my girlfriend. I have to be careful about what I say to her and how I react to her. The reason is because for the first time in my life, someone that isn't my parents has a vested interest in my feelings. She has intense respect for me, my opinions, my feelings, everything. That's a tough concept for people like us to grab ahold of. We are actually *valuable* to another person that isn't a mom, you know? What we say or do has a huge impact on their feelings too. So when we spend all our lives focusing solely on ourselves and supplicating to other people for fear of their judgment, suddenly the roles are either equal or reversed and we have little experience in that. The problem with my girlfriend is that if I say or do anything that hurts her feelings, she won't tell me and then eventually she just lets the problem go and accepts it as it a personality quirk of mine. I go on not knowing and have been like that for years. Dealing with it is something that kind of eludes me, but I continue to read books and advice and hope I can figure it out. We have time and each other and through anything, we can deal with this.

This all changed when I found what I really believe to be my first real close friend. I've had close friends before but they've just been 'buddies' like I described before. I have another female close friend that I spent a lot of time talking with about lots of sensitive subjects, but in the end she moved away and we just don't talk as often anymore thanks to distance and schedule. I have no problem with that, of course, but that means we aren't as close as we could be. But last year I met a different woman who I had an undeniable strong bond with. We bonded closely because she had medical concerns and I gave her lots of spiritual help. She is a lesbian so we never got to any romantic level (thank goodness, since I have a girlfriend already), but in the end we got so close we are in each other's hearts often. What this means is we both have a very strong mutual respect of the other's feelings and opinions. You can see where this is going.

She got married recently (where it's legal) and due to simple bad luck, I couldn't be there. Nobody's fault, that's just how the cosmos made it. I felt so down and depressed, angry at fate for doing this to me. I was also very scared of how she would react to me not being there. She knew it was just bad luck but I couldn't stop feeling bad about it. I spent all my time trying to 'avoid judgment' with her. You know, trying to explain my side of the story. And I wanted validation that I made all the right choices or that she didn't feel bad toward me. All this bellyaching from me, I forgot about her. I forgot that this was her day, not mine to complain. She got so upset she cried and hasn't spoken to me since. I forgot that here was a person who has a strong respect for me and my opinions, etc. Something like I said that we loners just don't have lots of experience with. Thanks to how we have grown up, our beliefs skew our world-view to US and not others, and all of our interactions with others unintentionally, even if we try to fight it, are about how we are so afraid of how others see us.

Now I'm completely racked with guilt. My friend Phil put it best: "you wanted to make up for your feelings of hurt so they wouldnt feel them, and sorta reaped the opposite" And that, people, is a huge problem. Not only now but in the future when you start getting into relationships and whatnot... you have to change your core beliefs or you'll end up hurting people you love. Something we can do to help us out when it comes to being more social is to focus on others, actually "being with others" instead of just "being and hoping others like us". That kind of rapport is something we should think about strongly. I dunno, that's just my 2 cents. Honestly, I am just writing on and on because I am so depressed about the fact that my dumb shyness and low self-esteem ruined the best friendship I ever had.

eso

Pinker said:
That point there is something that's really touched home with me. I can't imagine someone being in *love* with me, having real care and deep respect for me, wanting to be with me... I just can't imagine it. I've never felt it. In reality I have no idea what love is. On a similar note I can't imagine having friends that are so close as well, like her. Why do we, maybe I, feel like this? Is it a lack of self respect, or just not knowing the whole story?

Anyway, with your friend, get in contact with her again. Did you explain to her why you weren't there. If you were *that* close then i'm sure she'll come to understand. It's worth you trying on your part, because as you say you don't want to lose a friendship like that. They don't come around very much.
I think you're right in that it is a lack of self-respect. If you don't have that, you can't really give much as much love to others and you can't really command much love or respect from others either. Obviously it's possible for someone to fall in love with you no matter what, but if you don't acknowledge that and respect yourself enough to realize it and really embrace it, then you risk not only not knowing but ruining any chance of it happening/sticking to you. I know that probably didn't make any sense but...

I mean if I think about it as it pertains to my case, if I had more self-respect I would never have run into this problem. If I had confidence in myself and in turn the confidence that others respect me, then I would be more selfless.. I would have been more empathetic.

In terms of my friend, she already knew why I couldn't show up. I just was so afraid of how she felt that I kept on talking about how badly I felt about it, iust as a defense mechanism, the one we all have built-in. But that's all i could talk about because I'm so insecure in myself. I apologized, said I knew exactly why she would be upset with me. Because I know myself and I know exactly why I reacted the way I did. I haven't heard anything back. However I don't really expect a response for a while, if ever. I mean, I know in my heart our friendship means more than this, but I'm afraid I've damaged it permanently in some way.

Havocan

You're taking the words right out of my mouth. It's like reading about myself, how I daily perceive the world. And by focusing inwards on your own feelings and having to feel good, securing your emotions by checking with your mates that everything is alright the only person you're satisfying is no one but yourself. Of course it's not a bad idea to ask others if what you do is alright with them, but using their responses as a means to accomplish those good feelings can be an addictive and somewhat selfish pattern. I think there is a very delicate line between ensuring good-to-gos and gaining good conscience for making yourself feeling good.

As for your friend, if you really couldn't attend her wedding because of simple bad luck and you apologised, explained her why and overall admitted that you failed to meet, I'd say you haven't damaged your friendship permanently. Though she might be disappointed with you it's not a reason to ditch you as a friend in my opinion^^.

eso

Havocan said:
As for your friend, if you really couldn't attend her wedding because of simple bad luck and you apologised, explained her why and overall admitted that you failed to meet, I'd say you haven't damaged your friendship permanently. Though she might be disappointed with you it's not a reason to ditch you as a friend in my opinion^^.
Well, my issue isn't that I missed the wedding, it's that when we spoke after it was over I never congratulated her or shared her joy. It is one of the most important event of a woman's life and I ignored it, thinking only of myself because I was trying so hard to atone for my absence. I should have been saying "i'm happy for you" but instead I was saying "i'm sorry, that this happened.. do you think i made the right choice, i feel really awful etc". What she wanted most is for her close friends to be happy with her, but I was not. I was just angry and apologetic. It's almost like I was insulting in a way, and not happy at all for her. Even though that's not the case that's how I came off. She is the strongest, toughest person I know and it made her cry. It's been an entire week and she won't talk to me, she usually can't go more than 2 days without at least emailing.

And who knows how many times shy people have done something similar and offended someone important? It's really scary to think back on your life and wonder if it's happened before without your knowledge. That's why we really have to think about getting beyond shyness and/or the low self-esteem that comes with it. It not only hurts you but it could have serious other consequences you don't know.

What I did is not right, but I did it because it's a knee-jerk reactionary thing for shy people like me who grew up thinking we have to apologize for our existence all the time. And the problem is... how do you explain that to someone? Doesn't that just sound like a bad excuse? No matter the reason, the fact remains that I did it. The only thing I can do is hope that she understands I was not in the right frame of mind at the time we spoke.

For me this only serves as a lesson to really fight against the severe negative thought processes that were ingrained in me as a person who grew up severely shy. I just hope people reading this can gain a lesson as well and avoid it.

You could maybe do some sort of gesture, to break the silence between you guys. Something different, not just another email. I think letters are lovely. You could send her a letter, just saying 'congratulations' and saying you hope she's very happy and all of that, and not say anything about yourself, just say all the things you didn't get to say to her and that you wish you had.
I think that if you tried to talk and apologise it might end up just being a big conversation about you again, what you did and said that you didn't want to or mean to, and all that. By the way, I can totally relate to all of this. I have a boyfriend that has stuck through me through my agoraphobia and my panic and my SA but I end up giving out to him and fighting with him when he tries to help me. I end up spending an hour on the phone to him just being annoyed, and I hate it! I also try to keep my feelings in check, and try to think about everything I say and all of that.
Anyways, good luck, I hope you guys work it out. :wink: