I said the wrong words

Lotrsfan

:lol: I went out with my mum to the pet store to get some bedding and a treat for my sister's mouse. And my mum said i could pay for the treat, so when i went to pay at the counter, a young girl was working there. So when she asked me if i'd found everything i wanted, instead of saying "Yes, thank you." I went and said "Yes, please." lol. I think she did notice but didn't really make a big deal of it or turn and say something like "Excuse me?" or "You mean Yes, thank you?" I didn't really notice either, 'til she was putting the money in the till, and i ran over what i said, and realised i'd said it. I was abit embaressed and wanted to hurry up and get the paying over with. She asked me if i wanted a bag but i said no, but i think she sounded alittle nervous and as if she was scared, coz she thought i was a weird person :lol:

Sable

I do that kind of thing all the time, I get so nervous of going to pay for stuff! I always feel like I'm standing weird in the queue, or get worried that I'm going to drop my money. The weird thing is that saying the wrong thing like that would normally be funny, but it's exactly the kind of thing that gets stuck in my head and stays there for the rest of my life, coming back to haunt me at 3am. Rediculous!

My worst nightmare would be to go to pay and then realise I didn't have enough money. I check my money obsessively before going into a shop, especially before going to get petrol for some reason. The other day I got £10 of petrol from Tesco, and when I went to pay the girl said '£19.50 please' :!: . I thought my worst fear had been realised, until she realised she'd got it wrong! Whew!

Richey

at work i was asked to repeat myself three times by the supervisor because i had mumbled a question out, when im nervous i talk fast and sloppy and when im confident im clear and articulate, he didnt seem to mind because he reacted cheerily! but i have those moments all the time at the shops when, the words dont flow properly, i guess its just practice

emmasma

I have worked in food service for many years. I can say that they don't really care much about what one or the other customer does or says as long as this customer is not making an attempt to be noticed (like telling a joke or something). This is a little sad because it means they don't do their jobs very well, but for you, i assure you, most of them don't even notice or care. Most of them don't really want to talk to you either, so don't feel obligated to say more than a simple yes or no.
I mix up my words alot too, like when I give somebody their food, and I'm supposed to say "anything else for you right now?" but instead I say "what can I get you to eat today?" :? . I used to be horrified by this sort of thing but I've had alot of "practice" messing things up and I can deal with it better now :D.
Practice helps alot, when I started my job, I used to panic and cry everyday, it was very traumatic. I am required to smile and make eye contact with each customer 8O The Horror :!: but it did get better, and it has made me much more able to deal with my daily life.

cLavain

Yeah, no one else notices these things, or maybe they care for like 5 seconds. We're not as important as we think!

@Sable:
Hey, isn't that Brave Sir Robin in your avatar? :)

Sable

It is indeed! I thought it fitting since I have so much in common with him (being such a coward!). :)

cLavain

Sable said:
It is indeed! I thought it fitting since I have so much in common with him (being such a coward!). :)
I can you see you are person of fine taste in humor! :)

Chilling__Echo

omg i do that all the time. it's like we have programed sayings in our head, like "yes please". i swear i do things like that all the time. you're not alone i promise!! and yes, i feel just as stupid everytime :(

Lotrsfan

I'm glad i'm not alone, so thanks for sharing your experiances with me :)

It's just i can't get why, i said "Yes, please?". I mean i was in the queue and she was serving someone else, and i was listening when the girl asked the woman if she found everything she wanted, and i thought she'll ask me that, so i was getting myself ready to say a cheery sort of Yes, thanks." but it didn't come out, i dunno what i was thinking about at that moment, i probably switched from thinking of what i'll say, probably too busy concentrating to hear her (coz i do have a hearing problem, usually when things like this happens it is because i misheard them, but it wasn't coz of that this time) maybe it was because i was so concentrating on whether she'll ask me that question that when she came to ask it, i forgot what i was going to say, and i said it quickly without thinking that i just came out like that.
*sigh* i shouldn't run over it, i should learn from my mistake and just concentrate on listening hard and thinking what i'm saying in future :lol:

corel

I do that all the time!! It's so frustrating! I'll go over and over in my head the thing i want to say and then when it comes to it I come out with something completely different. Its like my mouth isnt communicating with my brain properly or something. I've always put it down to over thinking but recently i have noticed that even when i'm put on the spot with a question i can never think of anything to say or contribute to a conversation. It's like a viscious circle! The worst part of all though is hours later i'll still be thinking of things i should have said!

Chilling__Echo

maybe it was because i was so concentrating on whether she'll ask me that question that when she came to ask it, i forgot what i was going to say, and i said it quickly without thinking that i just came out like that.

that's usually what i do. i hate well people in stores ask me if i need help or anything like that, b/c i KNOW they don't relaly want to help me. or i know they don't really wanna know how i'm doing lol

2QuietForThem

I’ve been a cashier and heard customers say all kinds of things that they would probably like to take back. What you went through happens to everyone, even people who do not have SA/SP. Don’t let it get you down. Trust me, the cashier thought nothing of it.

CHILLING ECHO, I agree that the people don’t actually care if you need help; they’re told to ask the question to the customer by their managers. A lot of stores do it, but there are some that got rid of the practice because it was turning customers away. I hate it! Best Buy is a store that does it, but they just make me want to shop elsewhere.

Chilling__Echo

oh deffinately, i deffinately feel turned away by stores that do it. shoe carnival repluses me and terrifies me, plus i had a 'friend' that works there (she lives on my street and went to my HS but i can't stand her, but she thinks we're peachy :roll: )

they have the podium and the microphone and i'm so afraid they'll talk to me. ugggh. yeah, i hate best buy, they stand right at the front, ahhhh

and the foofy stores where they come right up to you and are like, "hi, how are you, lemme tell you about this sale, that'll take a whole 19 and a half minutes to tell you all about and you have to stand there and try not to look rude"

arrgh.

Chilling__Echo

oh yeah, and most of my jobs have been retail, so i refuse to haggle people, if they ask about a sale or something, i tell them, but if someone walks in, i don't track em down, i just yell out "welcome to such and such" and leave em be.