I need some opinions please

BooC

Hello,

Ok so I've recently been diagnosed with early stages of social phobia & anxiety by my doctor & she has told me to have a think about if I want to go on medication and come back in a week to see her with my decision.
My doctor is also trying to get me refered to see a therapist but because its only early stages (but getting worse each day) I may not be able to see anyone even though she thinks this would really help as the NHS therapists apparantly only take on patients with extreme anxiety.
Basically my attacks come on only at work when I'm speaking to more than 1 colleague and as I work in a team this is pretty much something I can't get away from. My attatcks started in Ocotber and have gotten progressivly worse.
At 1st I could hide it well by doing something "safe" like not making any eye contact, leaving the room or fiddling around in my bag hiding my shaking hands, and unable to speak because my heart feels like its beating in my throat, but now this has gotten worse and the last big one I had felt like I was going to have a heart attack (pain down my arm).
My doctor says that medication should stop me from having the attacks but I just wanted some opinions please from people who have tried or on medication. Will this really stop me from showing the physical symptons?
Also I am worried that the medication might be addictive or have side effects. I was on Prozac for depression about 6 years ago and came off after a few months because it made me feel completley numb to the world which was ok for a bit but then made me realise I was a complete Zombie and I don't want to feel like that again..

Sorry for rambling on, I hope there is someone who can just give me some advice whos experienced it first hand.

WeirdyMcGee

Taking medications will not always work for you. It may take you years to find something that works well for you.

Whatever medication you try- you should give it 2 months and keep a diary of how you are feeling every day to look back at and see if the medication actually helped you or not.

I'd suggest if you don't want anything addictive, you stay far away from benzos.
You can talk to your doctor about what medications would be best for you and I'm sure they can start you out on the right path.

I have tried 14 different medications for anxiety and none have worked for me.
8 for depression- none have worked for me.
4 for sleeping disorders and none have worked for me.
I'm still looking for something to help; but meds won't make anything magically go away- you have to pay attention to your diet, sleep patterns and make sure to exercise regularly and take time to relax and de-stress each day.