I need some advice before making financial decision.

Well I am in a small pinch of a situation here at the current moment alot of things are happening in my life I am going to start paying for my college courses in september and will have to leave my current job to put my full dedication into college, I hopefully will be getting funds incoming from a part time job (just a bit of pocket money, looking at average about 650 a month) now here is the pickle of the situation.

I want a motorcycle and have always wanted one, I think now at the age of 23 (23 in about 20 days :p) is the perfect time to get started, I know this isn't a motorcycle forum or financial advice forum but I would like for some peoples input and advice. I am starting my lessons soon but do you think it's the right decision with just a pretty low income? I have some money saved up for a motorbike and this is roughly at my budget limit I am actually really interested in this particular bike.

Kawasaki : kawasaki ninja zx6r custom paint job

Insurance will be lower than a younger driver but do you think it's the right time to do this? I don't want to really wait any longer I would rather put some experience under my belt and I may have financial difficulty keeping this bike going.

I know this subject is completely off topic on this forum but still can anyone give some advice?

Thanks.

Last edited:

nafadda

if you can pay for it cash outright and need it for transportation,,buy it,if you can't pay it outright and a place has to give you the loan because you only have the down payment,it's not really yours anyway,and you'll prob wind up losing it,,lot's of people buy on credit thinking they can make payments,,so as long as you won't have payments and need transportation do what you want,,otherwise you'll live to regret buying it at this time with this economy.

if you can pay for it cash outright and need it for transportation,,buy it,if you can't pay it outright and a place has to give you the loan because you only have the down payment,it's not really yours anyway,and you'll prob wind up losing it,,lot's of people buy on credit thinking they can make payments,,so as long as you won't have payments and need transportation do what you want,,otherwise you'll live to regret buying it at this time with this economy.

Yeah, I was thinking of buying it outright but Finance on some certain bikes have got me drooling....0% APR on certain models....and yes I will prolly end up either damaging it or totaling it so you are prolly correct. Think I may buy that bike in the link in a few days hey it's second hand and has 30,000+ miles on it but it's cheap for what it is.

nafadda

nothing wrong with second hand if it's more afordable and 0% ususally means your payments and down payment will be huge...this is not a sound time in the economy to buy any large items that a person may not be able to afford,sales people will tell you anything to get you to buy,,they don't care if you lose it a year later..they already made their money....

I take it you've ridden a bike before - if not, getting this 600cc bike will be like getting a "daeth warrant" (2 cousins of mine both died by way of motorbike crash). But ultimtaely this is your choice.
Been thinking about getting a road bike myself, maybe a 125 or 250 ... and i rode farmbikes for a few years in my youth.

Last edited:
I take it you've ridden a bike before - if not, getting this 600cc bike will be like getting a "daeth warrant" (2 cousins of mine both died by way of motorbike crash). But ultimtaely this is your choice.
Been thinking about getting a road bike myself, maybe a 125 or 250 ... and i rode farmbikes for a few years in my youth.

Yeah I've ridden a 250c before....not exactly road legal with no licence but hey.

I was thinking of getting a 250cc anyway for a couple of years but they are all the same price as a 600cc and bikes....well they cost money.

megalon

A zx6r might be a bit much for a beginner. A new cbr250 or a 250 ninja are both pretty cheap. If you want to wait a bit, Triumph is rumored to be working on a 350 thumper "Street Single" which aught to be pretty fun. If you're looking to go bigger so you don't grow out of it in a hurry, there's the yamaha fz6r, kawasaki Ninja650/er6n, and gsx650 and gs500f from suzuki. I started with a sv650s that I bought new in 08. Payed it off early, haven't wrecked it, still loving it.

Last edited:

nafadda

the entire POINT should be..CAN YOU AFFORD IT?????..NOT how many you like or want..i could look at photos of BMW's or Land Rovers ALL day long,BUT..if i buy one and can NOT afford the payments 6 months from now..guess what??? it get repossesed,simple as that..so is it a matter of greed or need??? unless you have the cold hard cash now a days it's real 'iffy' in this economy and job market (or lack of one) to buy high end items right now.

one thing people must realize now a days is despite what they think ,unless you have someone buying you the item or have the cash,we are NOT entitled to certain things we may have at one time thought we were ...times change,so if you have to buy second hand and need it for transportaion ,buy it out right..because if you buy it and have a payment and lose it,ask yourself how you will feel then.??

i'm not here to tell you which ones are OH SO COOL..I'm here to speak the facts about buying it to you...simple as that.

coyote

be realistic about your budget

look for something used and affordable - be sure to include expenses like gas, insurance, taxes, tags, etc.

don't get suckered in by marketing

don't get something that is at your budget limit, leave yourself some room

good luck