I need advice for a dating ad

elusive_x

I need to get out, and so ive decided on putting out a dating ad on the internet... BUT i want it to say somethign to the effect of "I have anxiety" or "im a social retard" (*sigh)-- "but im cool on the inside"...

I dont want ppl to be surprised when they meet me, and i want to weed out the creeps

any suggestions?

TheFreak

I would just say "I'm very shy" or something to that effect. Most people have never heard of social anxiety anyways, and it's more something you would say in conversation rather than listing it on an advertisement.

lyricalliaisons

I think you should just be yourself & tell the truth. Say something along the lines of "I have anxiety in social situations," only use your own words. As long as you add some more about yourself, it's not going to make you come across wrong or anything. Just put that despite having the social anxiety, you are an awesome person.. that there's more to you than just that.. in your own words.. & it should be fine. If I ever join a dating site, honesty is the only way I would go.

"Honesty is the best policy."

Ubersonic

Don't make it look like your putting yourself down. Also, shy is cute.
elusive_x said:
...i want to weed out the creeps
I don't understand, how would this "weed out the creeps"?

EDIT: Oh lol your a guy. The "creeps" comment threw me off.

Havocan

Whatever you do, don't forget to mention that you're shy or suffer from SA in any way. I just ignored it and it came all back to me like a boomerang hitting my crotch. Now it seems she sees me as a wimp^^.

Just say you're somewhat shy and a quiet lad, without taking it too far. Who knows, she might like it.

weak

People associate shyness with low self confidence - which is a huge turn off to woman, often subconsciously.

You're gonna have to fake it, unless your looks are good enough to carry you.

Rather than using the word 'shy', go with 'reserved' and make it out like you're 'reserved' by choice.

Like instead of advertising the fact that you're scared of woman, just make it out like you don't go on many dates because you're extremely selective and are holding out for someone who really interests you.

This way you're able to get your point across without coming off as undesirable.

Here's another example of how you can restructure your anxiety into something that'll make you look good...

Sometimes on dating sites a girl will hit me up and she'll be extremely straight forward, asking for my phone number and wanting to setup a date right off the bat. Now of course I'm intimidated by this aggressiveness and there's no way I'll be able to make such a huge step without first getting to know the girl better. I need talk with a bit more via email before my comfort levels will adjust.

So what can I do? If I tell her the truth, it'll put her off and she'll lose interest. So instead, I reshape my anxiety into something that actually makes me look more desirable...

"Hey, so the last girl I met off this site turned out to be a little bit psychotic and ended up stalking me haha. So now I'm sorta taking a more cautious approach. You seem pretty cool though, care to tell me a bit more about yourself?"

Sounds silly but it works.

Havocan

Then what happens if you're meeting each other outside the screens and are to go out on a date, take it one step longer and introduce yourselves to your friends? Sooner or later the shyness sets in and prevents you from doing things with her.