I may have to make a decision sooner than I thought...

lilmutegirl

Well-known member
#1
So, I currently have two part-time jobs. I am working on a master's degree in one field in which I work. I know within the next 3 years there will be more (full-time) positions in the organization in which I work. There will be one new location, and the one I currently work at it moving, which will result in the need for more employees. Initially, after finding out about the two new locations, I was concerned about having to decide between potentially getting a full-time job earlier (at the brand new location) or waiting a bit and hopefully getting a job with my current co-workers at the new location we are moving to.

Today, I found out their may be another full-time position opening soon at yet another location. I heard this from the manager (whom I happen to have graduate from high school with). I want a full-time job and all the benefits that come with it, but don't know if I want to change locations at this point. I didn't anticipate applying for any new jobs before I finish my degree (at the end of next year). I'm not guaranteed to get it, and it could be good practice to apply/interview, but if I do and am offered the position, I'm not sure what to do...I don't have to worry about it yet, as the job has not been posted, but now I am thinking about it.
 

zharl

Well-known member
#2
Well, if you submit an application and go to an interview, you're still not under any obligation to accept the position--at least I don't think you are. I think you can probably turn it down at any point before your officially hired. If I've learned anything about the job market, it's that employers have plenty of prospective employees, should a potential hire fall through. *shrugs*
 

lilmutegirl

Well-known member
#3
True, I could turn it down if offered, but I would have to make that decision, and would probably second-guess myself a lot (I am an extremely indecisive person, and tend to regret most decisions I make). Of the three potential prospective full-times I foresee, I would without a doubt accept one, if offered, but that is the one that I would have to wait longest for, which is why I am concerned about being offered another job sooner. I could, also, take a full-time position sooner, and apply for another job in a couple of years.
 

zharl

Well-known member
#4
Well, if we're talking about indecisiveness, I'm really not one to give advice, as I'm pretty bad with that myself--I tend to freeze up. I suppose I was looking at it from an objective standpoint of "You don't have to accept the job, even if they accept you." Taking things like emotions and anxiety into account makes the decision quite a bit more difficult.

I suppose all I can do is wish you luck. So, good luck. :D
 

lilmutegirl

Well-known member
#5
Thanks! There is also the possibility that I don't get any of these jobs, even if I apply for all of them. It is remarkably competitive. The most recent position I got had 68 people apply. I applied for a full-time job before that and there were 75 applicants, so I am not guaranteed any of them.
 

zharl

Well-known member
#6
Thanks! There is also the possibility that I don't get any of these jobs, even if I apply for all of them. It is remarkably competitive. The most recent position I got had 68 people apply. I applied for a full-time job before that and there were 75 applicants, so I am not guaranteed any of them.
If I can just offer a bit of opinion here. I think that creates all the more incentive to apply to all three. On the off chance that you do get one of the positions it gives you an option, whereas if you don't apply at all, you don't even get the opportunity to turn them down.

Better to have more options, in my opinion.
 

lilmutegirl

Well-known member
#7
I just saw a job posting and it isn't a job that I want, so if that is the one the manager was referring to, I am kind of relieved that it is not something I am interested in, so I don't have to worry about whether or not to apply.
 

lilmutegirl

Well-known member
#8
So, today another position was posted. It is the same position I am currently working part-time, but at a different location. I really like my current co-workers, and am comfortable there, so I don't really want to move, but it would be kind of ridiculous to not even try for this other job. I may or may not get it, but I could get interview experience if I don't, and if I do, I'll have more money and benefits.
 
Top